DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Picture Profile Recipes (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/110902-picture-profile-recipes.html)

Steven Thomas December 22nd, 2007 06:11 PM

Picture Profile Settings...

There's been some discussion regarding "in camera" image adjustments.
Some feel the best way is to capture the most natural color correct image as possible and tweak it to your liking in post.

Here's a link I found from Sony that has some changes, mainly gama curve changes to effectively widen the unit’s expressive range.

http://www.sony.co.uk/biz/view/ShowC...=1193315622112

If you have any picture profile settings you find interesting, please post them in this thread.

Craig Seeman December 22nd, 2007 06:55 PM

At the Sony US site they have scene profiles for XDCAM cameras. There's nothing for EX1 yet but it would be nice if they had some.

http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Broadcastan...eneFiles.shtml

Mike Testin December 24th, 2007 06:28 PM

Picture Profile Recipes

Maybe it would be nice, now that more and more people are getting their cameras, to have a thread to share Picture Profile Recipes for some interesting looks (bleach bypass, cross process, wide latitude, etc).

Chris Hurd December 24th, 2007 07:16 PM

I had good luck getting this concept going in our Canon XH series camcorder forum, but not in our Sony V1 forum. Here's hoping it'll really catch on here. This should be the single most popular trading spot for picture profiles... if we can get a couple going, it should catch on pretty quickly.

Carroll Lam December 24th, 2007 07:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 797859)
if we can get a couple going, it should catch on pretty quickly.

OK, Chris, here's a start. I've set up a couple of PP's that have the following characteristics:

HISAT - The Matrix Select has been set to HISAT with the Level changed to 25; Gamma Select is set to CINE1. This set of setting provides much richer colors yet preserves some shadow detail.

HISATBLK - Same settings as preceding plus BLACK GAMMA has been set to +25 to open up the shadows.

The file below also shows the default settings for reference.

Let the games begin!

Carroll Lam

Paul Cronin January 7th, 2008 01:16 PM

Carroll thanks for the settings I tried both and the factory setting (ugh) yours were better. Today I will try two new setting and let you know what I think. My goal is to have a setting close to the rich colors I had on my Canon A1 with Steve's Vivid and still have rich blacks. More soon.

We need to get this rolling the way the Canon A1 forum ran. It was fantastic.

Andrew Wilson January 7th, 2008 03:35 PM

Page 76 of the manual talks about storing and retrieving camera set-up (including picture profiles) on the SxS card. My camera is *supposed to be* in transit so I can't do any testing now but wouldn't it be great if there was a way to attach picture profiles to this message board that could easily be downloaded?

Someone figure out how to do that before my camera arrives. :)

Carroll Lam January 7th, 2008 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Wilson (Post 804317)
but wouldn't it be great if there was a way to attach picture profiles to this message board that could easily be downloaded?

Someone figure out how to do that before my camera arrives. :)

It is easy to upload a setting file for download. The problem is that it contains all the camera settings not just the PPs.

The time that it takes to read and enter the PP settings from a list, such as the one I posted, is for all intents and purposes faster than downloading a file, loading onto a card with a pc, moving it the EX1 for upload, and then changing the nonb-PP settings to your own preferences.

Carroll Lam

Paul Cronin January 7th, 2008 05:10 PM

Hi Carroll sorry I ran into a Final Cut Pro Scratch disk problem with EX1 footage today so no shooting.

I will try two new PP settings tomorrow and let you know the settings if they are worth looking at. I have time the next few weeks prior to months of busy shooting to test settings so lets see if we can move this along. Thanks for getting it started.

Carroll Lam January 7th, 2008 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Cronin (Post 804377)
Thanks for getting it started.

Looking forward to more inputs. Let's hope others contribute also.

Carroll Lam

Jim Montgomery January 7th, 2008 09:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Carroll, et all

I took the liberty of adding two more to your XL spreadsheet (in red at top).

One is for film, the other TV.

Jim

Carroll Lam January 7th, 2008 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Montgomery (Post 804514)
I took the liberty of adding two more to your XL spreadsheet (in red at top).

One is for film, the other TV.

Thanks, Jim. Any rationale for how you came up with those settings?

Carroll Lam

Jim Montgomery January 7th, 2008 09:56 PM

All were from the XDCam. The file setting came from Allister Chapman (I think).

Jim

Carroll Lam January 8th, 2008 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Montgomery (Post 804518)
All were from the XDCam. The file setting came from Allister Chapman (I think).

Jim

Thanks, Jim, I'll give them a try.

Carroll Lam

Paul Cronin January 8th, 2008 08:39 AM

I will also try today since I solved my FC problem and the weather is spring like.