Firmware Update Wish List - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 29th, 2007, 09:55 AM   #16
Regular Crew

-Menu design: ability to jump with down scroll at the bottom of the list back to the first item and from first item to last with up scroll

-Remove lcd flicker from 25P modes

-Remove green mess showing up to lcd when changing modes (it would feel more finished product if the transition were classier)

-Ability to change shutter speed with joystick when direct menu is set to PART. I didn't like much the fact that changing direct menu to ALL disable separate gain and WB switches. Perhaps these could work same time also --> if you touch the separate switches of gain and WB it would change the setting even though direct menu would be set to ALL
Tuomas Sebastien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2007, 11:42 AM   #17
New Boot

I second Tuomas' ideas

Excellent ideas Tuomas, I second all of them, especially the first one! There's no logical reason that menus shouldn't loop.

Does anyone know of an official Sony site where we can make our thoughts known?
Pierre Louis Beranek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2007, 08:24 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Perhaps we should let this list live a while and then gather a list of wanted features and someone then emails it to Sony in the name of dvinfo.net community
Old December 30th, 2007, 09:38 AM   #19
Regular Crew

-The WB issue has been mentioned here already but I'd like to be able to set WB to A or B slot manually trough direct menu. This would then overwrite current saved setting same way as taking white balance from an object with WB button does.

-The assignable buttons have also been mentioned and I fully agree that there should be more options which to assign to them. I don't see any reason why any of the camera's settings couldn't be programmed into assignable buttons. There's need for as many different combinations of customization as there are EX1 users and different shooting conditions
Old December 30th, 2007, 10:39 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Some of this has been posted before been as I did a "test" shoot yesterday the menu access issues became much more obvious to me.

Assignable Buttons

OIS - HAS to be assignable. It's a real PAIN to have to go into the menu every time you go on/off tripod.

OVER/UNDERCRANK settings - has to go to an assignable button too. Sometimes you want to change quickly to catch something as a slo mo shot.

RECORD MODES - sometimes you want to switch from 720p24,25,30 to 720p50,60 QUICKLY for example.

----------------------
Assignable Buttons or other solution needed

WHITE BALANCE - it's been said before but additionally it needs to be SEPARATE from Picture Profile (ideally). I was shooting in day light and it's a real PAIN having to change the PPs to have a Preset 5600° (or whatever your dialed alternate is to 3200°) each time you change a PP. You may well be faced with having to make 3200° and 5600° for each PP and there's still no easy way going from indoor to sunlight quickly. I could go on and on about this but you all get it I'm sure.

ZEBRAS - I want to toggle between 70 (or whatever low) and 100 (or whatever high). Right now it's one or both depending on how you set things up. I want one or the other in many circumstances.

ZEBRA & PEAKING ON LCD SCREEN DISPLAY - I'd like something that would indicate these buttons are engaged. There are times when they're on and you're not seeing them given a specific shot you're setting up. As a result, going from shot to shot, I get lost as to whether I'm not seeing them because they're off or because nothing is falling into the range it detects.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2007, 11:16 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
OIS - HAS to be assignable. It's a real PAIN to have to go into the menu every time you go on/off tripod.
You can switch the OIS on/off directly from the lcd/viewfinder (without going into any menus), that works quite fast imho.

I would like to see an updated and improved clip browser software as well.

regards,
Erwin
Erwin van Dijck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2007, 11:31 AM   #22
Trustee

An image flip mode for 35mm adaptors.
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2007, 12:30 PM   #23
Major Player

Decimal place adjustment of frame rate and the indication of whether the frame rate is 23.976 or 24fps for example. And the ability to shoot a real 24.000 fps (I think this may be possible in PAL area undercrank mode already, but haven't tested it - in any case, an easier way).

Frame accumulation numbers compatible and/or synchronized with the intervalometer time. Right now there is 64 frames of accumulation on the chip, and combined with a 2, 3 or 4 second interval creates a staccato in the time lapse footage.

More options in the "Shutter Angle" mode. 270° and 360° (or however wide it goes) would be nice, as well as shorter ones in 5° or even 1° increments.
Eric Pascarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2007, 12:48 PM   #24
Inner Circle

That and other functions like PP (and therefore WB preset as part of a PP) are on the LCD but sometimes fiddling with the joystick is too slow.

You have to position the joystick over to correct area and then toggle.

I want to pull the camera off the tripod and simply hit a button. In some run and gun situations even the joystick/LCD method is just too slow and especially awkward if you're already hand holding the camera/beast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin van Dijck View Post
You can switch the OIS on/off directly from the lcd/viewfinder (without going into any menus), that works quite fast imho.

I would like to see an updated and improved clip browser software as well.

regards,
Erwin
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2007, 12:51 PM   #25
Major Player

I just want the EX1 to accept other brands of SxS cards that are compatible.
Kit Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2007, 06:30 PM   #26
Major Player

Not a firmware update but hardware update:

How nice would it be to have this camera, but have an interchangeable lens? I think it would be pretty nifty. Maybe they could shave off some money for not having a lens on there so you can purchase a nice quality pro lens and be around the $10k - $12k range?

Would be pretty nice....
Kit Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2007, 03:59 AM   #27
Major Player

Yes, a 5 second Pre-record buffer!!! Im shocked they didnt include this to begin with! A Must have!

I will not buy this camera b/c of this missing feature.
Old December 31st, 2007, 11:23 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Firmware Updates

I would like for recording modes to be usable with the "Assignable Buttons." I tend to shoot the same scene in 1920 and 720 so being able to switch back and forth with just the press of a button would be great. I can also see how being able to assign preset Over and Under crank settings to a button for fast switching would also be good idea.

David Schmerin
www.GotFootageHD.com
David Schmerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2007, 11:25 AM   #29
Regular Crew

I should read more carefully....

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Schmerin View Post
I would like for recording modes to be usable with the "Assignable Buttons." I tend to shoot the same scene in 1920 and 720 so being able to switch back and forth with just the press of a button would be great. I can also see how being able to assign preset Over and Under crank settings to a button for fast switching would also be good idea.

David Schmerin
www.GotFootageHD.com
Seems I am in complete agreement with Craig Seeman

Sorry

David Schmerin
www.GotFootageHD.com
David Schmerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2008, 03:47 PM   #30
Regular Crew

Possibility to "dump" what's on SxSes directly to external hard drive via camera's USB output. This might be bit hard to do since it might require camera to have drivers or something like that for the hard drive. Perhaps there could be small accesory application downloadable from sony site that would be copied to external drive. Then firmware update would simply ask the software on hard drive to copy what's in the SxSes.
Tuomas Sebastien is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds