Battery light? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 29th, 2007, 10:13 AM   #1
Telecam Films

Battery light?

Any recommendation for a compact, self-powered battery light that would mount on the EX accessory shoe?

Thanks.
Thierry Humeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2007, 11:48 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Take a look at these:

http://dvcreators.net/litepanels
Larry Silverberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2007, 12:50 PM   #3
Major Player

I second the Litepanels products, although there is supposed to be one comming out that costs around $300-$400. The LED stuff is very nice and will save you a ton of battery time.
Kit Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2007, 09:00 PM   #4
Telecam Films

Thanks for the tip, I did not know Litepanels had a lighter model for DV cameras. I'll check it out!
Thierry Humeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2007, 01:54 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I had a Litepanel and ended up selling it. Personally I found it to be a bit too big and cumbersome for my liking.

I've been thinking about getting the Zylight Z90, seems like the ability to change color and go from Tungsten and Daylight with one light on the fly seems pretty tempting. Anyone used one?

http://www.zylight.com/servlet/StoreFront

- Ray
Old December 30th, 2007, 02:16 AM   #6
Major Player

I too am thinking about the Z90 - its size and the ability to switch electronically from 3200 to 5600 (without coloured filters)seems to be fantastic. However I'm still weary of LED lights - does it suffer like all others in the sudden severe reduction of light beyond a relative short distance? I would greatly appreciate comments form Z90 users. Also it seems to draw too much power for an LED light - 30 watts according to its brochure. This is equivalent to the halogen lamps! Is anybody using it for ENG work?
Brian Cassar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2007, 04:05 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Cassar View Post
I too am thinking about the Z90 - its size and the ability to switch electronically from 3200 to 5600 (without coloured filters)seems to be fantastic. However I'm still weary of LED lights - does it suffer like all others in the sudden severe reduction of light beyond a relative short distance? I would greatly appreciate comments form Z90 users. Also it seems to draw too much power for an LED light - 30 watts according to its brochure. This is equivalent to the halogen lamps! Is anybody using it for ENG work?
The Z90 has a more focussed beam than the original Z50 with a lambdian coverage. Covers the 16:9 frame nicely which is more than I can say for a lot of the lights we've looked at. The way you can control the light or a group of them is certainly to die for. Those we've rented them to just love them.

Is it suitable for ENG, yes unless you're talking about running into the smoke filled burning building kind of ENG. For that the HID lights with a spotlight beam would be better. Conversely for general purpose ENG use that kind of light isn't flattering and will leave you with darkness at the edge of the 16:9 frame.

The Z90 is built like a tank and is a bit bigger than the Z50. It has weight to match. Hanging it off a hotshoe with a Noga arm adds a fair amount of weight to anything less than a shoulder mount camera. When I get my EX1 fully kitted I'll mount the Z90 off the rails, not the camera.

Yes it draws 30W at full brightness. All that light has to come from somewhere and unfortunately there's no magic solution. LEDs are as efficient as any light source today, the question is how you focus that light. To lightup a scene at the wide end of most lenses means that light has to be spreadout. The other issue is using LEDs that give you good color balance. Needless to say the Z90 excels at this.

Before committing to one, try to get your hands on one and try it out. It's way more than just another on camera light but as great as it is it mightn't be the right choice for your needs.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2007, 01:37 PM   #8
Major Player

Thanks Bob for the detailed reply! Unfortunately in my country we do not have an agent for this light and hence has to buy blindly. Since it is quite pricey, I have to depend on feedback from other users.

I intend to use it mainly for weddings - so basically I need a good even light to give a bit of fill light for the faces. I have used the PAG light (with a 20 watt lamp)for many years now and have no complaints.

My only concern is that I've read somewhere that the light throw of led based light units is different (i.e. shorter) that that of halogen. Can anyone who have used both a halogen based light such as the Pag and this Z90 comment on this please? Thanks
Brian Cassar is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds