Shutter Off. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 30th, 2007, 06:40 AM   #1
Major Player

Shutter Off.

One thing that still puzzles me a little about the EX1 and that I can't find in the manual is what happens when the shutter switch is set to off.

Having used my XH-A1 for a while, I've gotten used to shutter speed just being a part of the general setup of a shot. I usually use a shutter speed of double the framerate.

So what does the EX1 do when the shutter is off? and also, if the shutter really is 'off' how does that effect the 'rolling shutter' side effect?

I'll do some experiments myself but just really wanted to put the questions out there.

Paul.
Old December 30th, 2007, 07:24 AM   #2
Major Player

I've just done some initial tests by shooting a scene and firing the flash from my CX6. In 720/25p with the shutter on at 50 only the top half of the frame was exposing the effect of the flash - which is the effect that's been reported.

With the shutter off however, the flash always filled the frame, so it's definitely having an effect. If your shooting strobes etc and you're worried about getting half frames, wouldn't simply switching off the shutter give you usable footage?

Paul.
Old December 30th, 2007, 07:52 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Paul,

It's been established here - with the help of the guys having experience with true pro cameras - that "Shutter OFF" simply disengages any additional electronic shutter, meaning you get one full exposure per frame. Which means it's equivalent to 1/25th if in 25fps mode, 1/24th if in 24fps mode, 1/50th in 720/50p etc. I am not sure about interlaced modes, is it 1/25 or 1/50th in 50i? I guess it should be 1/50th, to get the full temporal resolution.

So yes, it's possible that the side effect is getting rid of those partially exposed flashes... I'm using 1/25th in 1080/25p on my V1E and still do have partially exposed frames, though.

Last edited by Piotr Wozniacki; December 30th, 2007 at 09:05 AM.
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2007, 09:56 AM   #4
Wrangler

Piotr is correct. As for interlaced, if shooting 50i, your shutter would be 1/50th but you are only recording one field at that rate. Same for 60i.

For many years, video cameras didn't shoot alternate frame rates so the shutter switch was used only to achieve a certain look with 60i, or perhaps a clear scan function to sync with computer monitors that had a different refresh rate than 60hz. The same is pretty much true for 50i in a historical sense.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds