Various XDCAM EX posts from 2008 - Page 12 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 18th, 2008, 03:34 PM   #166
Major Player

Letus Ultimate Cine Kit

Anyone, seen this kit yet? Opinions? Seems like it may be priced about the same as if you bought everything seperately also one drawback is I do not see any rails...

Letus35 | LETUS35 ULTIMATE CINE KIT f/EX1 | B&H Photo Video
Jason Bodnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2008, 11:14 PM   #167
Regular Crew

Soft Focus

After using my EX1 in 23 weddings since January it is very clear to me that the focus is soft, whether the ND filters are engaged or not. I calibrated the lens once and I thought that helped a lot. However it seemed to gradually become softer again. I recently calibtrated again, with good results again. I have also found that I must use a small amount of sharpening to achieve a decent look. I have achieved spectacular results at times but many shots are just too soft for me. I have the oldest firmware and as my camera is now almost a year old and has lost paint over several places I msut decide soon whether to send it in to Sony. I can not be without the camera for too long and I have not heard good reports about Sony service. My question is: Will a firmware update help and can I do it myself?

Thanks,

Mervin
Mervin Langley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2008, 09:49 PM   #168
New Boot

EX1 in for repair

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and I'm glad to have found it. I own a sony PMW EX1, and I had to take it in for warranty service. It had a magenta blotch in the picture. The blotch does record. It becomes sharper and well defined with a smaller aperature, and more diffuse with a larger aperature.

First of all, has anyone else had this problem?

I understand they have ordered a new prism block to put in my camera.

Second, I wanted to tap the experience on this forum and get your thoughts about the problem as well as any potential caveats with the repair process.

Thanks in advance.
Arvin Berner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2008, 01:09 PM   #169
Major Player

what codec for ex1 files in mediaplayer?

i can play my friends EX1 files with the new VLC with no problem.
but in mediaplayer classic there is no audio.
what codec should i install? i prefer this player.
as far as i know, the ex1 audio is in simple PCM wave format,
(Linear PCM 2ch, 16-bit, 48- kHz)
so i dont know why there is no audio at playback.

thx
Old December 3rd, 2008, 11:39 PM   #170
Major Player

TNT's "Leverage" Being Shot with EX1

I just got my new copy of Videography magazine today and the EX1 is being used as a second camera for TNT's "Leverage", which I believe premieres this Sunday. TNT - Leverage - starring Oscar® winner Timothy Hutton is their site.

Apparently the EX-1's (and for that matter, the RED One) skew didn't bother their DP. I say this because it's an action series with a decent amount of handheld hard panning.
Adam Reuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2008, 03:55 PM   #171
Major Player

small battery charger for EX-1?

Just wondering if Sony (or someone) makes a small, compact battery charger for the EX1. I know the double-duty charger/AC adapter is useful, but I'd love to carry a much smaller battery-charger-only for some shoots.
Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2008, 03:59 PM   #172
Inner Circle

Squeaky EX1 body?

I've always noticed body handling noise from my Sony Z1/FX1 and now EX1. Typically, I use a wide pattern stereo microphone mounted on the camera, but this handling noise is slightly less with a shotgun mic. I think I'm having more trouble with the EX1 as it is heavier and thus my handshifting technique has not yet caught up, if it ever will. It's easy enough to grip up the handle, but what about the bottom of the body? any ideas?

I've been using a Sennheiser microphone shockmount that fits in the accessory shoe. I just replaced the EX1 shockmount with a stripped-down Lightwave Minimount.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2008, 09:11 AM   #173
Inner Circle

OT: tripod upgrade for my fully-blown EX1 rig

Sorry for double post.
Old December 12th, 2008, 09:06 PM   #174
Regular Crew

SanDisk Video HD™ SDHC

Just an FYI tried the 8 gig card today in the Kensington, and worked in 1080 HQ!
Jason Davenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2008, 08:09 AM   #175
Major Player

Cinevate Proteus rails & the EX1

I've just done a review of Cinevates Proteus rails and described how I set them up with my EX1 if anyone's interested...

Cinevate Proteus rails | Paul Joy

regards

Paul.

Last edited by Paul Joy; December 15th, 2008 at 10:04 AM.
Paul Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2008, 02:25 AM   #176
Major Player

Backup to flash stick in the field?

Sorry, double post.

Last edited by Jeroen Wolf; December 17th, 2008 at 03:48 AM.
Jeroen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2008, 01:09 PM   #177
Regular Crew

Just an Idea for Christmas

I'm on a Classic Corvette forum and every year we have a Christmas sale to forum members.
It's basically, everyone on the forum who has parts just laying around or they want to get rid of a few items they post it for sale (cheap) to forum members. Just an idea, someone might just need or want what you have laying in the piled up "Video stuff" box.

Just a thought.

I got a Hamlet Waveform Box (overlays a waveform and Vector scope over video)
Sell it for $350.00 clams with free shipping (ground). lists for 1695.00 new. with pelican case.
Attached Images

Jason Davenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2008, 10:59 AM   #178
Major Player

Yet Another EX-3 HD/SD Lens Question

While I and others have been discussing on both this and the XDCAM HD thread theoretically the use of SD vs HD lenses, I was wondering if anyone has actually tried a 1/2" SD lens on EX-3 (or XDCAM HD cam)?

The question of "how good or how bad" is too subjective to ask, but the initial question is whether the 1/2" lens actually covers the entire imager.

Any real-world experiences would be welcomed!

Ned Soltz
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2008, 02:16 PM   #179
Sponsor: divergent media

EX30 deck with SD cards?

Couldn't find info in a past thread - has anyone tried playing back footage from an SD card (with an MxR or kensington or whatever) in an EX30 deck? It supports the PHU-60K, so I assume it'd support the expresscard adapters as well, but I'd be curious to know for sure...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds