Alternative to Clip viewer? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 4th, 2008, 06:32 PM   #1
Major Player

Alternative to Clip viewer?

After reading the manual to Clip viewer I have not been able to figure out a way to play all the clips on a card or in a folder in sequence. I would like to be able to hit play, lean back and watch the whole "tape" of recordings after a days shoot.
Now - has anyone found a good way of doing this without importing into editing software? The only way I have come close is by dragging all of the mp4-files to VLC-player but then I don't get any audio.
Ola Christoffersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2008, 10:51 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Playing all the clips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola Christoffersson View Post
After reading the manual to Clip viewer I have not been able to figure out a way to play all the clips on a card or in a folder in sequence. I would like to be able to hit play, lean back and watch the whole "tape" of recordings after a days shoot.
Now - has anyone found a good way of doing this without importing into editing software? The only way I have come close is by dragging all of the mp4-files to VLC-player but then I don't get any audio.
If you don't mind watching all your on the little monitor built into the camera, you can putting the camera in Media mode highlighting the first clip and pressing the play button. The camera will play all clips forward. If you are looking to view them on an external monitor, I think the only way is to use the HD/SDI out.

David Schmerin
www.GotFootageHD.com
David Schmerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2008, 12:14 PM   #3
Tourist

So if you play back out of the camera, the component video outs don't carry a signal?

I was going to suggest playing back out of the camera to a consumer DVD recorder using component video out.

EDIT: I just checked the manual and the component video outs (and composite) work during playback. I believe I also read that if you play the first clip, the second one plays and so on to the end of the tape.

I guess you would have to get a headphone to RCA cable to run audio out of the camera.

So until Sony makes an SxS player (like Panny's P2 field player) then that's how it's done.
Andrew Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2008, 12:40 PM   #4
Major Player

Thank you guys! I am aware of all the possibilities of playback from the camera (yes Andrew, the component output works as well as SDI).
What I am talking about is playback of clips already dumped to a harddrive. Apart from the very latest recorded material all of my footage will be on harddrive.
Also, hooking up the camera for playback is not a good every day solution.
Using the computer for playback is also for me the only way to watch the clips att full quality on my 24" 1920x1200 LCD-screen. Although I can connect it through component as well that does not give me image quality near that of computer playback.

Today I realised I can also use Zoom Player to play back mp4-clips if I change the extension to .ts but zoom player does not give me audio either. Does anyone know if the audio actually is embedded in the mp4-file or if it is stored in a separate file?
Old January 6th, 2008, 12:55 PM   #5
Major Player

The way I do it is :

-copy the files (MP4 + data) to an external hard drive (from a MacBookPro 17")

- drop the MP4 file to VLC (or the the VLC playlist to have them all the way to the end) (get VLC here : http://www.videolan.org/ ). You won't get any sound ad VLC does not know how to get it from the MP4 file.

- use FFMPEG to get the video (mpeg2) and audio (wave) out of the MP4 file, then see the movie. You will need twice the disk space though...

I'm in the process of writing a script (sheel or applescript) to automaticaly dump the files from the SxS to a harddrive, and maybe extract the files to a .mov with both video and sound. Maybe also generate a playlist file and open it in VLC... I'll post when it's done.
Sebastien Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2008, 05:07 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastien Thomas View Post
The way I do it is :

-copy the files (MP4 + data) to an external hard drive (from a MacBookPro 17")

- drop the MP4 file to VLC (or the the VLC playlist to have them all the way to the end) (get VLC here : http://www.videolan.org/ ). You won't get any sound ad VLC does not know how to get it from the MP4 file.

- use FFMPEG to get the video (mpeg2) and audio (wave) out of the MP4 file, then see the movie. You will need twice the disk space though...

I'm in the process of writing a script (sheel or applescript) to automaticaly dump the files from the SxS to a harddrive, and maybe extract the files to a .mov with both video and sound. Maybe also generate a playlist file and open it in VLC... I'll post when it's done.
Thank you for your tip! However, wouldn't it be easier to just let Clip browser export to MXF. MXF-files play back with audio in VLC.
What I am looking for is some kind of player that lets you build a playlist and that recognizes both video and audio.
Maybe this is something that the geeks involved in the HTPC-world can answer? There is an application called graph edit that I don't really get that is supposed to let you analyse and choose codecs for both audio and video in a clip.
Old January 9th, 2008, 01:21 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Thank you for your tip! However, wouldn't it be easier to just let Clip browser export to MXF. MXF-files play back with audio in VLC.
What I am looking for is some kind of player that lets you build a playlist and that recognizes both video and audio.
Maybe this is something that the geeks involved in the HTPC-world can answer? There is an application called graph edit that I don't really get that is supposed to let you analyse and choose codecs for both audio and video in a clip.
Vlc can be used in playlist mode, check its menus and add all .mxf files.
Andreas Johansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2008, 02:17 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas Johansson View Post
Vlc can be used in playlist mode, check its menus and add all .mxf files.
I know that Andreas! As stated in my original post. :-) Now let me be completely clear about this. I am looking for a player that can play back the EX1 .mp4-clips with audio and let you build playlists or play all files in a folder in sequence. That's all...is that too much to ask for...? ;-)
Old January 9th, 2008, 02:26 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
I know that Andreas! As stated in my original post. :-) Now let me be completely clear about this. I am looking for a player that can play back the EX1 .mp4-clips with audio and let you build playlists or play all files in a folder in sequence. That's all...is that too much to ask for...? ;-)
Yeah way to much to ask for :), I will look and see if mplayer can do the trick.
Old January 9th, 2008, 02:41 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Buy SpeedEdit v1.5 from Newtek for a few hundred euro's.
Drop the clip on the storyboard or timeline and hit spacebar to start playback.
It will playback both mxf and mp4 files, including audio.
Converting with FFMPEG first (to any high bandwidth non-long-GOP format) will give even better results.

VLC player will playback both file formats on the fly.

FFMPEG is great for conversion to uncompressed or (lossless) compressed formats.

VirtualDub is great for upsampling from 4:2:0 to 4:4:4 colorspace. Great for chroma keying, color timing or mastering.

AviSynth is great for converting interlaced PAL or NTSC to progressive double frame-rate (50 fps PAL and 59,94 fps NTSC) to make it more compatible with 1080p50, 720p50, 1080p60, 720p60.
Vincent Mesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2008, 02:54 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Ola try mplayer. I can't try it now its Tiger only in OSX but there is win32 verisons at:

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/
Old January 9th, 2008, 04:50 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Mesman View Post
Converting with FFMPEG first (to any high bandwidth non-long-GOP format) will give even better results.
-
FFMPEG is great for conversion to uncompressed or (lossless) compressed formats.
Could you give some examples of what type of conversions you've found useful? What switches I need to use with ffmpeg?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Mesman View Post
VirtualDub is great for upsampling from 4:2:0 to 4:4:4 colorspace. Great for chroma keying, color timing or mastering.
I guess this would require a conversion to file that VirtualDub can understand, what would you recomend? Can't i do upsampling with ffmpeg?
Tuomas Sebastien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2008, 05:01 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas Johansson View Post
Ola try mplayer. I can't try it now its Tiger only in OSX but there is win32 verisons at:

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/
YES! that did the trick. Now I can watch/log footage anywhere with only a computer and the firewire drive with the mp4:s. Much better than clip browser.

Thank you!
Old January 9th, 2008, 06:08 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Ola, does the program allow for say output through a Black Magic intensity card so we can play to a TV
Thanks
Paul
Paul Dhadialla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 02:38 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Dhadialla View Post
Ola, does the program allow for say output through a Black Magic intensity card so we can play to a TV
Thanks
Paul
Sorry Paul - I have no idea. I have only used it for about five minutes. Why don't you download it and try for yourself. It is open source.

/ola
Ola Christoffersson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds