Component out at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 4th, 2008, 09:12 PM   #1
Major Player

Component out

I tried using my Dell 24" LCD as an external monitor for the EX1 today and had a few problems.

In both 720 & 1080 modes a lot of the image is not shown, which kind of defeats the object of using an external monitor for composition, and in 1080 the image was flickery.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else see's the same thing, especially when connected to a TV that's capable of displaying the full 1080 without overscan (or is that underscan?).

I guess the inclusion of the SDI port means that Sony would probably assume that's going to be used for monitoring but I'm surprised there's not an option to send the full res out of the component port too.

Last edited by Paul Joy; January 4th, 2008 at 10:13 PM.
Paul Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2008, 11:32 PM   #2
Trustee

Paul,
I have the Dell 24" 2405 LCD monitor. I've used the EX1 component and the SDI>HDLINK>DVI into the Dell.

The component inputs will loose the overscan region of your image and show just the safe area. Also, if you have the Dell 2405, make sure you have it set for 1:1 scaling. I do not see any flicker, well at least with the NTSC settings, I have not tried PAL frame rates.

Invest in a SDI>DVI adapter. I'm using the BM HDLINK ($399 USD).
The only issue is when monitoring with the HDLINK, the frames are sent over 60i so when there's movement you can see staircases on the Dell. Other than that, it looks tack sharp and full raster.

Also, the 60i is not an issue when capturing via SDI since you can add pulldown.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2008, 09:51 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Steve, Was curious if you have tested monitoring the cam via the BM HDLINK
when working in the Cineform Intermediate....
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2008, 10:18 AM   #4
Trustee

Ray, I'm not sure what you mean by this?

Cineform, can not be output the EX1 via SDI. I'm sure you know this, it's probably in the wording.
Old January 5th, 2008, 10:30 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Woops, I was thinking BM Intensity...
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2008, 01:00 PM   #6
Major Player

I use the EX1 with a HD-LINK DVI converter on a Samsung 244T monitor (same pannel as the Dell).

It seems I got the full image.
One strange thing, when in PAL mode, the monitor menu is telling me I'm in 1200x1080 instead of 1920x1080... but the image is here, clear and smooth. Maybe it's just the electronic in the screen "thinking" it is less due to the frequency which is 62Hz instead of 60...

Still have to test the component output.
Sebastien Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2008, 04:30 PM   #7
Trustee

I don't own the BM Intensity, although I might pick one up for some in house work.
Has anyone tried the EX1 SDI out to HDLINK>HDMI>Intensity with Cineform NEO HD? I'm willing to bet this is excellent!
Old January 6th, 2008, 05:30 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I didn't try that, but I did go HD SDI to my Marshall 7" and to be honest, the LCD on the EX1 looks as good if not better. I'm going to get the HD SDI module for my 23" Luma and see how that looks.
Vince Gaffney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds