DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   EX1 Film - When it Rains (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/111868-ex1-film-when-rains.html)

Jim Montgomery January 7th, 2008 10:09 PM

EX1 Film - When it Rains

Just finished. Started this mid December with a note to the writer trying to obtain permission to produce his script. Spent the next 2 weeks planning; every shot, color process, everthing I could think of..... you see, my starlett was only home from school so long. Shot over a span of 4 days, 2 hours each day, needed the light at dusk for the "look".

Cameras
Sony EX1 with Letus Extreme
Zeiss F1.4 50 mm
Zeiss F1.4 80 mm

Sony XDCam HD

Ariel SoftBox Light Kit

Software
Sony Vegas - main edit and rendering for various delivery methods
After Effects - Effects, color grading, and mastering
Magic Bullet Looks - color grading

Monitor Didn't not have one but after using the lcd screen on the EX it looks like a Panasonic for the XDCam. My eyes are just to far gone.

Hope you all enjoy.

Jim

www.sfgmedia.com/wir/index.html

Adam Ginsberg January 7th, 2008 11:02 PM

Hey Jim, it is great! The look and sound design were awesome.
Can you tell us a little bit about the experience of working with the EX1 and Letus Extreme. Do you have any issues with edge to edge sharpness? Did you have to open up the adapter and do any tweaking? What were your zoom/focus settings?

Thanks!
ag

Jim Montgomery January 8th, 2008 07:12 AM

Adam

The funny thing was I waited to start filming until the Letus arrived. Just put all the nuts, bolts and gizmos together and off I went. The zoom on the EX is set to 82 focas at 4.8/1.4.

There is some light fall off side to side so you have to be careful framing with the zoom. I understand from Phils Blog that letus is working on that.

Open it up and start tweaking? It took five weeks to get here, I'm not about to stuff my truck driver fingers into those little spaces!

Glad you enjoyed the film

Jim

Marty Mankins January 13th, 2008 08:17 PM

Well done, Jim. The editing was very good.

Shows the quality of the EX1.

Charles Dasher February 2nd, 2008 12:54 AM

Hi Jim

Nice stuff. How did you record audio? Did you foley much? Any special setting to reduce rolling shutter strobe effects?

I am just down the street(I-95) in Jupiter. I just posted some surfing from Juno in this thread. If you ever need to do a 2 cam shoot I am interested and I would like to check out the Letus in person.

Sean Seah February 29th, 2008 11:22 AM

Hi Jim! Great work. May I ask what was the format you rendered to in Vegas to get it into AE?

Jim Montgomery February 29th, 2008 11:42 AM

Sean

You should always render out as uncompressed, either quicktime or avi. Better still bring the original footage into AE.

Jim

Sean Seah February 29th, 2008 11:57 AM

Ah thanks. I just got into AE and I only know that it can import m2t. However if I have done some basic editing in Vegas, I couldnt render as m2t anymore (HDV). Looks like avi is the way to go.