DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Below Heavy Skies (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/111942-below-heavy-skies.html)

Paul Joy January 8th, 2008 05:11 PM

Below Heavy Skies

3 Attachment(s)
I was experimenting with shooting some skies and other stuff in the garden at lunchtime today, this was the result.

Some of the footage was shot at 720p, some at 1080p, but it was all edited on a 720 timeline. No shutter throughout and the footage was graded in magic bullet.

http://www.vimeo.com/480384

regards

Paul.

Steven Thomas January 8th, 2008 05:33 PM

I really enjoyed that opening cloud shot where the foreground clouds are moving faster then the back. Also the slomo birds on the treetop with the transistion to the seagull was nice. Can you post a higher rez/quality version? Was this all stock lens?

Paul Joy January 8th, 2008 05:36 PM

Hi Steven, glad you liked it. Yes all stock lens and the hi res version is available for download on the vimeo page.

regards

Paul.

Alessandro Zumstein January 9th, 2008 12:26 AM

Hello, wery good pictures, good music choice.
One of the gratest video i saw shooted with the PMW-EX1

Do you use a 35mm adapter? What gamma curve do you use?

Alessandro Zumstein

Rainer Mann January 9th, 2008 03:15 AM

Hi Paul

great video! Really, can't wait to get my EX!! I heard a lot about Magic Bullet and I saw a lot of wonderful videos which were done with it. I own Final Cut Pro so I have the colorcorrection tool of Final Cut and also Color, which I am still learning to use... I am wondering if I should get Magic Bullet too. I read it is a lot easier to use compared to Apple's Color. Hm, what would you suggest? Is it worth the money or should I try to learn to use Color first ?
Looking forward to see more stuff from you!
Keep rolling :-)

Greetings from Germany
Rainer

Paul Joy January 9th, 2008 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alessandro Zumstein (Post 805224)
One of the gratest video i saw shooted with the PMW-EX1. Do you use a 35mm adapter? What gamma curve do you use?

Wow, thanks for that. No I didn't use a 35mm adapter, it's all done with a stock ex1. Some of the shots use magic bullet effects which can help with the 35mm look.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainer Mann (Post 805280)
I am wondering if I should get Magic Bullet too. I read it is a lot easier to use compared to Apple's Color.

Magic Bullet looks is amazing, it does a lot more than just colour correction as available in apple colour or FCP. I'd highly recommend it if you like playing with the look of video as I do.

Paul.

Noel Evans January 9th, 2008 03:30 AM

Some nice images in there Paul, thanks for sharing.

Rainner may I suggest taking the time to grade with Color over MB. Put simply MB is a presets plugin, Color is a professional grading tool.

Beatrice Eldon January 9th, 2008 03:31 AM

Beatrice Eldon

Hi paul,
I've been hesitating over purchasing the EX with FCP and Majic Bullet up till now. You've convinced me ! Keep turning out these little masterpieces. Hope to meet you at Earls Court next week. Maybe...............
Beatrice Eldon

Ali Husain January 9th, 2008 03:37 AM

your clips are very beautiful.

Paul Joy January 9th, 2008 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beatrice Eldon (Post 805289)
Hi paul,
I've been hesitating over purchasing the EX with FCP and Majic Bullet up till now. You've convinced me ! Keep turning out these little masterpieces. Hope to meet you at Earls Court next week. Maybe...............
Beatrice Eldon

It always scares me when people say that. I'm sure you'll love the camera, but please don't blame me if you don't! :)

You might be getting me confused with Mr Bloom who I know is doing a talk at Earls Court, I might go along too though so maybe I will see you there.

Rainer Mann January 9th, 2008 03:48 AM

Noel,

thank you. Yes, I guess I should learn to use "Color" first and keep the money - perhaps for a good Color-tutorial ;-) ? Suggestions?
Magic Bullet seems to be amazing, but perhaps it's not too hard to get similar results with Color... however, Paul did a great job!

Paul Joy January 9th, 2008 03:54 AM

I'm sure Color is highly capable, however I find magic bullet a lot nicer to use and to me it just delivers what I want without getting overly complicated.

Colour's 3D scopes and multi layered effect methods are very powerful etc, but I'll take simplicity anytime as long as it delivers the effects I'm looking for. Magic Bullet Looks is a very powerful tool, but also easy to use, try the free demo available on their website.

Christopher Barry January 9th, 2008 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alessandro Zumstein (Post 805224)
... What gamma curve do you use?

Paul, did you use one or many different Cine Gamma Curves for various shots?

Nice post work on the footage.

Paul Joy January 9th, 2008 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christopher Barry (Post 805329)
Paul, did you use one or many different Cine Gamma Curves for various shots?

Nice post work on the footage.

Just the one, CINE 1. The Profile I use is pretty much as the standard profile except for the selecting CINE1 Gamma & HiSat Matrix.

Danny Hidalgo January 11th, 2008 12:30 AM

Beautiful shots...

Paul,

beautiful shots, transitions and color. I have heard that Magic Bullet takes longer to render, did you find this to be true as well? Either way it produced some great looking footage.

Peace and Blessings,

Hidalgo