FCP Import - Each Clip Comes In Twice at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 9th, 2008, 09:23 AM   #1
Major Player

FCP Import - Each Clip Comes In Twice

Is anyone having the issue where each EX1 clip appears twice in the bin when importing to FCP via XDCAM Transfer in the import menu?

After that, the behavior is strange sometimes, where dragging even one of the clips into the timeline will actually bring it in twice.

This is happening on two of my Macs, and didn't always happen - the first few imports were seamless.

Solution?
Eric Pascarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2008, 09:27 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Pascarelli View Post
After that, the behavior is strange sometimes, where dragging even one of the clips into the timeline will actually bring it in twice.Solution?
I had a similar thing happen with a duplicate clip on import. Both clips were highlighted with sort of a gray low-light. Once I highlighted the correct clip, it stopped that behavior.

vince
Vince Gaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2008, 09:30 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I'm also getting links to the same clip multiple times when using the XDCAM Transfer tool 2.1. I believe others have reported this too. It seems to be a bug.

Workarounds may be:

Delete clips from FCP Browser and reimport from folder.

Use XDCAM Transfer tool from desktop (it's a separate app) and create folder with mov clips first. Then open FCP and import. I think this is the best way to do it for various reasons.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2008, 11:04 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I have experienced this problem as well. Whenever there are more than about 20 clips, the ones above 20 come in in double and FCP wigs out over them. When I delete the clips and re-import them it resolves the issue.
Andrew Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 01:12 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Young View Post
Whenever there are more than about 20 clips, the ones above 20 come in in double and FCP wigs out over them. When I delete the clips and re-import them it resolves the issue.
There really doesn't seem to be any consistency with this obvious transfer tool bug because very first time I transfered EX media it was only 8 or 10 clips. Most of them came in doubled up. I hope the next Sony Transfer Tool update resolves this issue.

- Don
Don Greening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 01:49 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I have the same problem and I also have another! Anyone ever seen this before? I feel like my graphics card on my MBP is all wonky perhaps?

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/2491/picture1xg2.jpg
Adam Ginsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 02:04 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Your posted picture says it all. You've got Mail, Safari, Quicktime, iChat, Preview and FCP all running at the same time........on a Macbook Pro that has limited RAM. Try turning everything off except FCP and you'll probably resolve your issue.

- Don
Don Greening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 02:06 AM   #8
Major Player

Yes, I get that when I first open a clip.

But it goes away when I press play.

This is on my Dual G5. Doesn't seem to happen on my MBP.

Just ordered a new 8-core. I'll tell you if it happens on that (in 3-5 weeks).
Old January 10th, 2008, 02:11 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Greening View Post
Your posted picture says it all. You've got Mail, Safari, Quicktime, iChat, Preview and FCP all running at the same time........on a Macbook Pro that has limited RAM. Try turning everything off except FCP and you'll probably resolve your issue.

- Don
That's all there is to it? Who knew! Thanks, Don!
Adam Ginsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 02:20 AM   #10
Major Player

Doesn't resolve it on my box.

Did that solve it for you, Adam?
Old January 10th, 2008, 10:24 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post

Delete clips from FCP Browser and reimport from folder.
This is what I did. Just transfer the clips, delete them from your project, and re-import the new mov files.

This is a tiny inconvenience which will hopefully be resolved, but given how fast FCP stepped up to handle the EX1 workflow, I really can't complain. Anyone remember the early days of HDV?
Marc Faletti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 01:01 PM   #12
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Greening View Post
With respect Don, I've generally kept Safari, Mail, and a couple other things open while editing for years, and never had any problems. Although I do agree with your troubleshooting method, which is to look at what else is running.

This looks like a either a gfx card hardware malfunction. or an OpenGL bug. Usually things like this happen to me if I opened a program that uses OpenGL heavily, but is not an Apple product...like a game in windowed mode, etc.
Old January 10th, 2008, 09:17 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Weaver View Post
I've generally kept Safari, Mail, and a couple other things open while editing for years, and never had any problems.
Granted, if you have tons of RAM and VRAM used in a relatively fast computer you can probably get away with running a few less "processor or graphic intensive" apps while editing. But it's general rule of thumb that a computer used for editing should only be used for editing and nothing else. Sure, lots of folks use their machines for absolutely everything and MOST of the time we get away with it, but that's not what the experts will tell you to do. "Why am I dropping frames during capture? All I was doing was sending out an email."

A past president of General Motors was quoted as saying: "Parts left out cost nothing and cause very few service problems." Good advice in any era.

When I first saw Adam's picture and noticed all those apps running on a Macbook Pro I'm thinking there's probably only 2 gigs of RAM installed and that HAS to be impacting the way FCP operates. If you look closely at the canvas window you can see that the graphics card is stretched to the limit. I always take the easy way out and point to the most obvious things to try first.

- Don
Don Greening is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds