Worse problem than vignetting at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 10th, 2008, 01:39 AM   #1
New Boot

Worse problem than vignetting

I have been noticing a problem with my Ex-1 that I feel is a much worse problem than vignetting. If you look closely at all four corners of the attached jpeg, I think you may agree that I'm getting some VinDieseling. Has anybody else been experiencing similar problems?
Attached Thumbnails
Worse problem than vignetting-vindieseling.jpg  
Craig Waddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 04:23 AM   #2
Major Player

Apparently Sony are aware of the issue and have sent a special rack out to each country that will allow the technicians to remove the VinDieseling.

Does he still appear with OIS off?

;)
Old January 10th, 2008, 05:05 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Guys, English not being my first language - could you explain the joke to me? "VinDieseling" doesn't ring any bell other than "driving a vintage diesel 1924 Mercedes" :)
Old January 10th, 2008, 05:49 AM   #4
Trustee

I have spoken to my dealer about this issue and he says it is specific to the continental US and Canada, thankfully.

I would advise anyone suffering from this issue to contact their dealers immediately. It could have been worse, at least you can zoom in a bit and lose his chrome dome.

How did this slip through the Sony QC?
Old January 10th, 2008, 07:38 AM   #5
Major Player

Sony contacted me about this and said they have a "fast and furious" fix for it.
Christopher Witz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 09:07 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I was wondering how long it would be before that problem reared its "ugly head".

Alas the Sony fix mentioned above doesn't work: because it re-introduces the vignetting problem: mine now appears to be "Pitch Black" at the corners.
Ian Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 09:11 AM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Guys, English not being my first language - could you explain the joke to me? "VinDieseling" doesn't ring any bell other than "driving a vintage diesel 1924 Mercedes" :)
That is the name of an action movie actor who's head appears in the corner of the frame in that post above.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 09:12 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Thanks, Greg :)
Old January 10th, 2008, 09:37 AM   #9
Regular Crew

your EX-1 is living it's life 10fps at a time
Greg Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 01:35 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Waddell View Post
I have been noticing a problem with my Ex-1 that I feel is a much worse problem than vignetting. If you look closely at all four corners of the attached jpeg, I think you may agree that I'm getting some VinDieseling. Has anybody else been experiencing similar problems?
I belive that is the new anti-p*rn feature on the EX1. Have you been shooting any "XXX" features with this
Chris Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 03:19 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Waddell View Post
more proof that the hvx200 has a better image... er wait, was that the hv20?

:)

Last edited by Ali Husain; January 10th, 2008 at 04:03 PM.
Ali Husain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 07:09 PM   #12
Regular Crew

HA HA! ROTF -- LMFAO!!!! Whew, that was good :-)

Definitely needed some humor like this to take the edge off all the super serious banter and debate that's been going on all over about the EX1. And as a first post, it's absolutely classic...
Leo Versola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 08:15 PM   #13
Wrangler

Love it, guys!
Old January 10th, 2008, 09:12 PM   #14
Trustee

Dude, I have a pretty simple workaround that you might want to use, instead of having to part with your beloved EX1.

Use the Brevis CF1 diffuser (NOT the CF1L) with the Letus flip module (NOT the Brevis one) this will add enough native vignetting to compete with the VinDieseling.

Attach an iridium core magnet (you can get them off of eBay under the NASA section) to flip the image so you can lookout for inverted VinDieseling, which is a royal PITA.

Capture using a gnu licensed app called something split or dub (I'll get back to you later with the name) b/c Vin isn't down with the public domain. Import into a Media Composer v2.5x (but not later b/c of a lack of Celeron support) 1080 24p timeline with a pulldown. The VinDieseling will now be on every fourth frame. Render out as Quicktime Animation and bring it into an After Effects RGB color space (one of the great things about Adobe). Applying AE's anti-vignetting filter, which will insure that any Vin's not pulldown by Avid will be essentially unnoticeable to the viewer. Render as lossless AVI. Import into DVFilmaker or TMPGEnc Xpress 4.0 to remove the pulldowned, non-inverted, RGB, de-vignetted Vin Diesels and import into Vegas.

... Or you could just use Cineform.

P.S. Kudos to Craig :)!
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 11:14 PM   #15
Regular Crew

That's Hilarious! I needed a good laugh....thanks guys
Brian Ladue is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds