DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Editing with FCP and Blackmagic Multibridge Pro (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/112147-editing-fcp-blackmagic-multibridge-pro.html)

David Lorente January 11th, 2008 08:07 AM

Editing with FCP and Blackmagic Multibridge Pro

I'm going to buy a new NLE and was considering a MacPro running Final Cut Studio 2 with a Blackmagic Multibridge Pro.

If anyone here owns this combination, I would like to hear what do you think about it.

Main things I want to be able to do:

- Edit EX1 HD footage. How does the BM MB performs with the EX?
- Digitize (and edit) my old Betacam SP tapes. Too many hours of unique footage to loose them!
- Use a 46" Bravia TV as master program monitor (just to impress my clients :P)
- Produce DVD's (of course), but also BluRay discs (I'm not locking my trusty Betacam SP camera in a display cabinet just to make widescreen DVD's!)

Andrew Wilson January 11th, 2008 08:24 AM

Have you considered the Intensity Pro?

If those are your only criteria and you don't need SDI, can live with unbalanced RCA audio and video connectors and only need HDMI for your client monitor, you could save about $1000.

Also, there is no machine control on the Intensity Pro but I think the MB pro has machine control for your betacam so batch capture would be possible with FCP. (I THINK)

Also, as of today, (pre MWSF) you can't author (and burn) one-off HD DVDs of either HD format. Premiere CS3 can do Blu-ray with Encore on the mac, tho.

Personally, I'm a FCP guy and assume that apple is going to support one-offs in HD very soon.

David Lorente January 11th, 2008 10:47 AM

Well, the most advanced features like RS-422 deck control and balanced audio are important when working with Betacam (only 66 dB of S/N ratio in the sound tracks, but I have recorded some live concerts and made audio CD's and DVD's with it!).

Also, the fact of having a box with all the input and output jacks on it seems to me much better than the cable-splitter solution of the Intensity card. And the fact that the Multibridge can be used as a standalone converter is a good added value that I surely will use some day.

Andrew Wilson January 11th, 2008 01:15 PM

I think you've done your homework.

Now I'm curious... other than the ±$1500 price difference, what's the difference in capabilities between the Multibridge Pro and the AJA IOHD?

I know the AJA goes direct to ProRes, what's the MBP do and what makes it so much less?

Andrew Wilson January 11th, 2008 01:28 PM

I think we're getting off topic for the EX1 forum but also what about the Kona LH?

It's only HD analog component out to your monitor but now you've got balanced audio and machine control and rs422 support for about $1600. rackmount available for $280.