Making the time at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 12th, 2008, 06:57 PM   #1
Major Player

Making the time

Jut put together another little film, all done today.

http://www.vimeo.com/604159

Quicktime mov can be downloaded on the bottom right of the page

Also added to the EX1 channel

http://www.vimeo.com/ex1

regards

Paul.
Attached Thumbnails
Making the time-mtt1.jpg   Making the time-mtt2.jpg  

Making the time-mtt3.jpg   Making the time-mtt4.jpg  

Last edited by Paul Joy; January 12th, 2008 at 08:35 PM.
Paul Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2008, 09:18 PM   #2
Trustee

Thanks Paul.
I like how you made this flow. Nice work. Great composition is key.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 10:59 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I really enjoyed it.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 03:52 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Sorry, i don't want to be offensive, but sincerely and objectively, that footage looks very bad. (not due to flash codec, i'm not talking about compression)
It's overexposed, border are out of focus on some shots, colors are worse than those of a PD170.
It's disappointing, for a camera with those specs.
Could you please tell me your cam settings?
Giovanni Speranza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 07:28 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giovanni Speranza View Post
Sorry, i don't want to be offensive, but sincerely and objectively, that footage looks very bad. (not due to flash codec, i'm not talking about compression)
It's overexposed, border are out of focus on some shots, colors are worse than those of a PD170.
It's disappointing, for a camera with those specs.
Could you please tell me your cam settings?
Please. Just stop. Seriously. Go find some place else to complain.

Paul, I do enjoy your little films quite a lot. That song was great; I had not heard of them.
Benjamin Eckstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 09:51 AM   #6
Trustee

I liked it alot. Shots were beautiful (brighter than my personal aesthetic, but not over exposed), framing emphasized depth and added to the scope of the world, very nicely done.
Old January 17th, 2008, 11:12 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giovanni Speranza View Post
Sorry, i don't want to be offensive, but sincerely and objectively, that footage looks very bad.
No offense taken, I'd rather people say what they prefer, and as I'm still very new to this I appreciate all opinions. The "blurred edges" and colours are more to do with magic bullet effects than the camera itself, I grade them to my personal taste and I really like the look.

Regarding the video being bright, I still struggle with the fact that Final Cut insists on displaying everything darker than it really is. Apparently this is to make up for the fact that standard mac gamma is brighter than pc gamma, so they show everything a little darker to compensate. The only problem is that I already have my monitor set to PC gamma so what Final cut shows is darker than it should be resulting in my work often looking brighter than I wanted.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93794

I know the ultimate solution is to use a proper colour correction monitor but that's one thing I don't have the budget for at the moment.

regards

Paul.

Last edited by Paul Joy; January 17th, 2008 at 03:03 PM.
Paul Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 11:16 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Very nice. It is a world of stories all around us and your film reminded me that stories are happening all the time, sliding around us like water around a boulder in the stream. Perfect music.

Thanks for sharing.
Chris Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 11:58 AM   #9
Major Player

Thanks Chris. That's kind of how I feel about my video projects, I'm not really interested in writing and making movies at the moment, I'm just enjoying trying to capture real life and express my emotions along with what I capture in short sequences.

I'm just starting out in this wonderful world of digital video, I have a real passion for it as I find I can capture beauty in moments which I often don't even notice myself until I look back at what I've recorded.

regards

Paul.
Old January 17th, 2008, 02:10 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Joy View Post
Thanks Chris. That's kind of how I feel about my video projects, I'm not really interested in writing and making movies at the moment, I'm just enjoying trying to capture real life and express my emotions along with what I capture in short sequences.

I'm just starting out in this wonderful world of digital video, I have a real passion for it as I find I can capture beauty in moments which I often don't even notice myself until I look back at what I've recorded.

regards

Paul.
Paul! Beautiful work!!!

What you said above couldn't express how I feel about shooting any better! We don't all have to be trying to make the next great Blockbuster. If we love what we do, then we can film almost anything and make it worthwhile to watch!

That's what your work is...worth watching!

The shot with the bird appearing to fly through the windmill....Lovely! I love capturing those spontaneous momenets like that. It's moments like that that having me shouting silently when I see it happen when the red light is on!!!

Great stuff!

Brad
Brad Vaughan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds