Is macbook pro effecient enough for EX1 clips at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 13th, 2008, 09:33 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Is macbook pro effecient enough for EX1 clips

Simple questions... can current macbook pros handle all the material i get out from EX1? How about if I convert it to prores422? The programs used would be FCP and after effects CS3. Is the basic hard disk fast enough or would I need to get one with higher RPM?

How about using RAID configured network drive with gigabyte ethernet connection between the macbook pro and the network drive pack? Has anyone ever tested such a setup? With RAIDed network drive I would atleast get reliability and hopefully also more speed.
Tuomas Sebastien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2008, 09:43 PM   #2
Major Player

I have the 200GB 4200rpm in mine and it does the XDCAM stuff perfectly.

It's just that the screen is too small to play 1080.

I am pretty sure it will do prores just as well, but I can't remember if I've tried it. I have on my old G5 tower and it works fine there.

I think that a network drive will cause you headaches. I would use internal or something connected via firewire. This is not from experience, just a hunch.
Eric Pascarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2008, 10:51 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I edited an entire project in FCP XDCAM EX on a 2.33Ghz Macbook Pro w/ 2GB RAM & with all files stored on an external firewire 400 drive and everything was super smooth.
Marc Faletti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2008, 11:39 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Anyone got any experiences with after effects? It demands really much from computer and when your doing your post work it would help if you could actually watch the clip with decent frame rate.
Tuomas Sebastien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2008, 11:42 PM   #5
Major Player

I think you will have no problem with AE, as long as you have enough RAM.

I use Combustion and Shake on my MBP all the time with ease, The only limit is RAM for frame buffering.
Eric Pascarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2008, 03:42 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi

I don't know yet about XDCAM and MacBook Pro but I can tell you, I edited an HDV project on my MacBook 2.8, 2GB Ram (Not Pro!! Only MacBook!) without bigger problems. And that was a music-clip with a looot of cuts! It became slow by adding effects but cutting itself was without any problems! I was surprised by myself about my little Macbook & FC Pro :-)
So I guess 35mbit stuff on MacBook Pro won't be a problem at all....
Rainer Mann is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds