low light and noise at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 14th, 2008, 08:35 PM   #1
Regular Crew

low light and noise

this was my 1st experience with really low light and the ex1. Scene, pool with only pool lights, patio with only dim lights. Sky has gone from purple to black. Ex1 on no 0ND, iris 1.9, gain 6db, shutter (my bust) 1/60. Picture is great, but alot o noise. Help!!
Jack Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2008, 08:37 PM   #2
Major Player

Check the bottom of the camera - make sure it's an EX1!
Eric Pascarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2008, 08:55 PM   #3
Trustee

I hear you there...
I was just looking at a graduate ceremony concert I shot at 0dB and it's some of the cleanest footage I've witnessed in these conditions, unreal!

I wish we had these on an earlier concert shoot with a couple JVC HD100 cameras, which actually looked good, just not as HD and clean as this.

And... I'm still a fan of the JVC HD series cam.

Last edited by Steven Thomas; January 14th, 2008 at 09:29 PM.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2008, 09:03 PM   #4
Major Player

Steve, is there a huge difference between the low light capabilites between your ex1 and hd100? is the low light really as bad as people make out on those cams?
Daniel Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2008, 09:21 PM   #5
Major Player

Can you upload a still?

I think 6db will produce some noise, but it's hard to say if the level your seeing is high or not without seeing it.

Paul.
Old January 14th, 2008, 09:37 PM   #6
Trustee

Daniel,
I'm a fan of the JVC HD100. I've used one for a couple years. It really takes some amazing sharp footage!

No, it's not as clean as the EX1, but it's noise is not that bad. When I ran it through Neat Video noise reduction, it really cleaned it up with minimal loss.

It's a pro camera for sure. The stock lens can have a bit to much CA when zooming in at wide apertures. Although, watching out for this, you can find a happy medium.
Old January 15th, 2008, 11:27 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Is there a noise reduction software for FCP. Thanks
Jack Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2008, 01:22 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Davis View Post
Is there a noise reduction software for FCP. Thanks
Noise usually shows up in the blacks. Use the 3 way CC and crush the blacks a little. This would be the quick and dirty way.
Justin Ferar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2008, 01:24 PM   #9
Trustee

EX1 Low light frame grab

EX1 Low light frame grab
1920x1080 24P
0dB

PP:

HiSat
Cine3
Detail at -15, Freq = +5
Attached Thumbnails
low light and noise-event_0db.jpg  
Old January 15th, 2008, 02:44 PM   #10
Major Player

Wow! That looks so good!
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2008, 03:13 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Yeah... "wow!" is right! Is there any processing on that shot other than the picture profile? I haven't taken my EX1 into that much of a low-light situation, but that is amazing.
Jon Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2008, 03:18 PM   #12
Trustee

No processing at all.
Up in the sample clip area I posted a six second wmv file.

I'll post another just like it where there are some people using flash from their cameras and phones. Apparently the flash was not strong enough to cause partial exposure. I see no issue. Now, if the my camera was aimed at them, it might of been a different story.

Here's something else I'm finding interesting, the colors stay fairly saturated even under lower light. I know this has been pointed out before. It may have something to due with the hisat color matrix, but regardless, a lot of past cameras I've owned desaturated color wise more than this camera under these conditions.

Also, here's the real kicker. The LCD, focus, and peaking capabilities really make this camera easy to nail focus. Sure, I'm still a believer in having a large pro monitor on the set, but man you "almost" don't need it.
Old January 15th, 2008, 03:29 PM   #13

Hey Steve...

Got my EX1 on order. Your low light footage looks absolutely fantastic. Think my HD110 will be my 'B' camera after this. Selling out of all my Canon equipment and not looking back. I was never a Sony fan, but the EX1 continues to make my jaw drop.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2008, 03:51 PM   #14
Trustee

I really think the EX1 is quite the camera.
Although, It does have some shortcomings.
The rolling shutter issue can be a problem. You need to plan a head to avoid this issue.

IMO, It's really a matter of weighting what's important for you, and how often you can live with a particular cameras faults. I need high rez, good image quality, and low noise 100% of the time, so the low percentage of rolling shutter artifacts, I can live with.

Some may feel just the opposite. If so, I understand. Rolling shutter errors are not pretty.

The problem is, writing positive things about certain cameras, some end up calling you a fanboy. ;) For sure, I'm not. I've mentioned this many times.

If something else comes along that I feel may work better for myself, I'll probably buy it.
Old January 15th, 2008, 03:55 PM   #15
Trustee

Bill, yes I know you and myself have been using the JVC cameras for a while.
I love those cameras!

Although, I must admit that once viewing the 1920x1080 24P footage in sequence to the HD100, there was a noticeable difference in image detail and noise. Also the 35mb XDCAM codec is really good.

But, again -- If there was a way you could have both, that might be great too. Those cameras are a joy to operate!
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds