Problem with gain setting at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 20th, 2008, 02:15 AM   #1
Major Player

Problem with gain setting

I have been trying to use the L, M, H switch to set the gain on my camera without success. Whenever I flip the switch to any setting other than low I get the message "cannot proceed". If on the other hand I use the menu, I can change the gain without a problem. I know that it is probably my own inexperience with the camera - but I just can't figure this one out. Has anyone else seen this - and if you have what was the solution? Any help is much appreciated.
Old January 20th, 2008, 02:33 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Graeme, I think that has something to do with changing the direct menu setting, it needs to be set to 'Part' in order for the switch to function.

regards

paul.
Old January 20th, 2008, 02:50 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Graeme, I had the same issue last week.

What I did was in the 'Others' menu I had the 'Direct Menu' Option to 'All'
What that does is it disables your Gain switch and puts 'All' control up into the joystick on top of the camera.

If you have it on "All" and want it that way - then click on the joystick (the Sel/Set) one and toggle to the gain and you can go up and down through the entire range of gain from -3db --> 18 db from there. It's kinda cool actually - it doesn't limit you to the 'three positions' on gain.

If you just want your gain switch back to the way it was - switch the 'Direct Menu' Option to 'Part' and you're back in business. Again, the 'Direct Menu' options is in the 'Others' menu

This scared me too - I thought - Damn I broke it :P

Any questions let me know

Cheers
Paul
Paul Dhadialla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2008, 05:03 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Paul and Paul,

I thought it would be something simple. Your help is much appreciated.
Old January 20th, 2008, 05:07 AM   #5
Major Player

Phil gave the answer. The 'All' setting for the direct menu will also disable the shutter setting and the white preset. Maybe some more settings. I don't know why we can't have both, the switch and the joystick...
Sebastien Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2008, 05:23 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastien Thomas View Post
I don't know why we can't have both, the switch and the joystick...
I guess this is a replacement for the "Hold" postion of the more traditional switch on other Sony prosumer cameras - to make sure you don't change anything inadvertently...
Old January 21st, 2008, 02:56 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
I guess this is a replacement for the "Hold" postion of the more traditional switch on other Sony prosumer cameras - to make sure you don't change anything inadvertently...
I heard they will add a "please cut my fingers" option for that on the next prosumer camcorder :)

I love the quick access to some functions with the joystick but I also would like to be able to change settings with dedicated switch. This may be something to add to the EX1 firmware upgrade wishlist :

- the All mode controls everything
- when in All mode, the change on dedicated switch take over
- you have another menu option to 'lock' the side switches

Sebastien Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2008, 03:27 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Fully agree - full control at all times is what we need, Sony !!!
Old January 21st, 2008, 05:14 AM   #9
Trustee

If both were to be active at once which would take precedence?

I could have the switch set to H at 12dB and I set the gain 3dB higher on the screen, what should happen now, 15dB?

I flick the switch down to M which I've preset to 6dB, then what should happen, 6dB?
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2008, 08:23 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Grant View Post
If both were to be active at once which would take precedence?

I could have the switch set to H at 12dB and I set the gain 3dB higher on the screen, what should happen now, 15dB?

I flick the switch down to M which I've preset to 6dB, then what should happen, 6dB?
Maybe they could give preference to the last one who has been changed.

- You set the gain switch to M and it changes to 6 dB (for example)

- Then you may be able to change it with the joystick, and set it to 9 dB

- If you set the switch back to L, it will go 0 dB.

and so on...

The same thing could be done with the WB, shutter and other stuff.

And if we want to lock the switches, we will just have another menu item as Piotr suggested: - you have another menu option to 'lock' the side switches

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds