Media confusion from a newbie at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 22nd, 2008, 04:57 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Media confusion from a newbie

Hi,

I'm a bit confused about all the media options for this camera, and I would like to have some clarification, as our company is deciding which camera's to buy.
I've read a lot here, still not completely sure about everything.

Okay, so here goes, correct me if I'm wrong!

-This camera works with SxS Express cards.
-Can be loaded into a Macbook Pro without additional hardware.
-At this point, only Sony and Scandisk are making these cards, only in 8GB and 16GB editions. 32GB is coming, but no one knows at which price point or when.
-The reason why these SxS cards are 'special' is because of the high data rates that normal compact flash cards can't hold, correct?

Now more to the shady/rumor/speculation part of the post:

-I've heard something about Sony announcing they would release a firmware so other Express cards can work with the camera? Can anyone give me more details about that? I've only found that, but not any details...
-Does this mean that cards like 200 dollar cards of 16GB will become compatible with this camera, or is this just impossible? I read a post of someone saying that he knew somebody (héhé) that said that it would work BUT that he sometimes got error messages, and that another person told him it wouldn' work completely at all. Any truth?
-Macbook Pro updates are probably very soon to be expected. Chance they would leave out the Express card slot that's now standard in them? (I know, pretty far off question, just asking how far off the concept is. If there would be reasons for Apple to do so, or not).

Thanks in advance...

P.S. if someone knows a cheap but reliable place in europe to buy this camera, please let me know! Cheapest I've found was something around 5500 euros or so WITHOUT 'btw' (think called taxes in America). For the normal consumer, there comes an extra price tag of 21% at this price.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2008, 06:18 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Mathieu,

-This camera works with SxS Express cards.
A: Correct

-Can be loaded into a Macbook Pro without additional hardware.
A: Correct - you need a express card 34 card reader

-At this point, only Sony and Scandisk are making these cards, only in 8GB and 16GB editions. 32GB is coming, but no one knows at which price point or when.

A: The SXS card - only Sony sells, and that is made by Sandisk. There are other express 34 cards but the camera rejects them saying its not Sony Media. The SXS are available at 8 gb and 16 gb only at about $500 and $850 dollars respectively.

-The reason why these SxS cards are 'special' is because of the high data rates that normal compact flash cards can't hold, correct?

A: Correct - for the most part yes. I think to some degree they are cashing in on a proprietory product. I can't blame them though. If the EX1 came on the market at $8999 with open source cards - people would still buy them. The cards at $200 a pop would run you about a $1000 (average consumption) There a 10K camera. But sell the camera at $6700 and ask people to spend $3500 on cards and it doesn't sit well - it's still 10K :)

Now more to the shady/rumor/speculation part of the post:

-I've heard something about Sony announcing they would release a firmware so other Express cards can work with the camera? Can anyone give me more details about that? I've only found that, but not any details...

A: This is true. Sony reps have verified this. I don't know when this will happen but i'm willing to bet it is after the Z7 gets released. If they make the SXS card cheap the Z7 sales will be affected. Z7 comes out next month. I'm waiting a bit for the cards - but not too long - I'm planning to start using my camera in production around March - so if cards don't come down i'll go ahead and purchase a few.

-Does this mean that cards like 200 dollar cards of 16GB will become compatible with this camera, or is this just impossible?
A: Correct. Sony will certfiy cards which are good enough to maintain basic rate (35MBPS) - and those that can manage overcraking - where data rates shoot very high

I read a post of someone saying that he knew somebody (héhé) that said that it would work BUT that he sometimes got error messages, and that another person told him it wouldn' work completely at all. Any truth?

A: As far as I know (have heard) they don't work period. I haven't tried myself honestly

-Macbook Pro updates are probably very soon to be expected. Chance they would leave out the Express card slot that's now standard in them? (I know, pretty far off question, just asking how far off the concept is. If there would be reasons for Apple to do so, or not).

A: I think they should - no clue why they don't. Sony, HP, Toshiba laptops all have em. Transfers are super quick.

Thanks in advance...

P.S. if someone knows a cheap but reliable place in europe to buy this camera, please let me know! Cheapest I've found was something around 5500 euros or so WITHOUT 'btw' (think called taxes in America). For the normal consumer, there comes an extra price tag of 21% at this price.

A: I'm in North America Mathieu, sorry can't help there. The camera is great Mathieu - don't hesitate :)
Paul Dhadialla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2008, 06:44 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Paul,

thanks for the very detailled response, I think you answered all of my questions!

BTW: I don't doubt the camera is great, but it's a completely different workflow and we have to think good if it fits our needs.
Also, our boss is paying for it, so he should decide of course.

Now, it's between the Canon XH A1 and the Sony EX1, I think they both offer the most bang for the buck, but in slightly different priceclasses and with different workflows. There is a more then 100% price difference, let's not forget ;-).

ps: the Macbook Pro DOES have the card reader now standard, just that I hope they don't decide to blow off that card reader on the upcoming Macbook Pro and go for another standard or something... you never know!

Thank you again for the very detailled response! Nice to see my questions answered so fast and so troughout.
This will help us a lot in making the final decision!

Best regards,

Last edited by Mathieu Ghekiere; January 22nd, 2008 at 08:52 PM.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds