Full zoom with OIS shadowing corners at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 23rd, 2008, 10:53 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Full zoom with OIS shadowing corners

I am not sure if this should go in the vignetting thread as this problem seems a bit different.

My camera came back from California re-aligned. This morning I shot some surfing with clear blue skies. At full telephoto with the OIS on there is substantial shadowing in the corners as the camera pans. Testing at home on the ceiling it seems to improve with the OIS off.

Can some let me know if there camera is totally free from this effect.

If I am shooting on sticks it is not a problem to shut the OIS off but if I am zoomed in handheld, when the OIS is most beneficial, the shadowing effect renders the OIS unusable IMHO.

I put a sample of this up on BLIP

http://blip.tv/file/619918?filename=...estClip536.mov

Thanks
Dasher
Charles Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2008, 03:49 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Could also be the iris being close to fully closed.
Old January 24th, 2008, 07:05 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I will test a bit more today but the iris was pretty open with the ND2 and a 120 shutter speed.
Old January 24th, 2008, 07:21 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Doesn't look good. I guess the fall-off effect is exaggerated by some evident colour banding - evidently insufficient blue color resolution... How did you encode it?
Old January 24th, 2008, 07:56 AM   #5
Trustee

Yes, it does seem a bit much. Also, the OIS moves it around quite a bit.
The color banding is from the highly compressed internet file.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2008, 08:04 AM   #6
Major Player

I'm pretty sure this is inherent in the lens, I've seen a similar natural vignetting at the far end of the zoom too. I had to bin a shot last week for the same reason.

It's different from the other vignetting issue though, it just feels like a limitation of the lens rather than an alignment problem etc.
Old January 24th, 2008, 09:48 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks for the feedback

This concerns me because these are the conditions I will be using the EX in much of the time. Blue sky background and zoomed in completely.

Paul were are you seeing this effect with the OIS off?

I truly want to work with the EX but if this is an inherent limitation of the lens then I may not be able to work around it. Would you all consider this a deffect?
Old January 24th, 2008, 11:12 AM   #8
Major Player

Hi Charles

OIS was off and I didn't notice the effect until I reduced the video in size to 640 wide (it was for web delivery). Once reduced the effect seemed to be more apparent.

It doesn't look as bad as yours though, probably due to the OIS being off. Personally I'm not worried about it for my needs but it certainly ruins that shoot you have posted.

Screen grab attached

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Full zoom with OIS shadowing corners-trees.jpg  

Last edited by Paul Joy; January 24th, 2008 at 11:48 AM.
Paul Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2008, 02:01 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I just got in from shooting and testing the tele end of the zoom range with OIS off. Now that I am looking for it is quite easy to see in the VF. It is there all the time but dose not jump into the frame as much when I pan.

I called my dealer and showed him the clip. He said he forwarded it on to the SONY rep.

From the limited feed back I have received from 2 other EX owners, they are seeing it as well. One stated he has returned his camera. This was someone who commented on the blip.tv site.

I am still very interested to hear if anyone has EX's that do not exhibit this problem at all.

Thanks for any info.
Charles Dasher is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds