DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Porta Brace multi cover (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/113054-porta-brace-multi-cover.html)

Paul Cronin January 24th, 2008 08:44 AM

Porta Brace multi cover

Has anyone purchased the PortaBrace CBA-EX1 multi cover? If so what are your thoughts?

Paul Joy January 24th, 2008 11:03 AM

I've been waiting for one of those too, not out here until next month though. I emailed portabrace about potential heat issues and was informed that they have taken the cameras thermal qualities into consideration in the design.

The images on their website show the Z1 though, not the EX1.
http://www.portabrace.com/productA-CBA-EX1

I'd be interested to see how usable the camera is in the armor.

Paul Cronin January 24th, 2008 11:30 AM

Thanks Paul it looks nice but hard to understand all the options by the information on the web site. I sent an email to Ken in sales asking about shipping dates since I am going on a three week job in Feb.

Have you sold your A1 yet? I just put mine on the market today.

Chris Miceli January 25th, 2008 10:41 AM

Cba-ex1

Hi Guys,

I actually work for Portabrace here in VT. I would be happy to answer any additional questions that you have regarding the CBA-EX1 or any other case.

Also, Paul Cronin, the next round of CBA-EX1's is scheduled for completion during the first week of Feb. It will take some time for dealers to receive them and turn them around for sale but I will be happy to help rush you one direct from us if you're interested. When do you leave for your 3-week shoot?

thanks, chris

Paul Cronin January 25th, 2008 10:43 AM

Hi Chris I leave on the 8th of Feb. Feel free to send me an email to discuss the option.

Paul Joy January 25th, 2008 12:38 PM

Hi Chris. If there's any chance of sending one to me directly too (in the UK) it would be appreciated. This item is being listed by all the major retailers here but no-one has any stock and it's hard to know which retailer will actually be getting any.

regards

Paul.

Brendan Pyatt January 26th, 2008 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Miceli (Post 814149)
Hi Guys,

I actually work for Portabrace here in VT. I would be happy to answer any additional questions that you have regarding the CBA-EX1 or any other case.

Also, Paul Cronin, the next round of CBA-EX1's is scheduled for completion during the first week of Feb. It will take some time for dealers to receive them and turn them around for sale but I will be happy to help rush you one direct from us if you're interested. When do you leave for your 3-week shoot?

thanks, chris

Hi Chris,

I am interested in the SS-MDV1B Mini-DV Slinger (prefered) or the SS-2 Side Sling Pack. I need to carry a white balance card - about a4 sized (as well as some other stuff). Does the SS-MDV1B have a back pocket like the SS-2 has (http://www.portabrace.com/assets/images/ss-2newd.jpg)?

Thank you.

Jason Bodnar March 6th, 2008 04:38 PM

Does anyone actually have one of these yet? How is it? Pros and cons

Mark OConnell March 7th, 2008 08:52 PM

They need to make one that will let you use the lcd, otherwise focus will be very dicey.

Jason Bodnar March 7th, 2008 09:29 PM

Mark, do you have one? On the Portabrace website it shows an Z1 and in one shot it does have the LCD available granted part of the camera is exposed, I wish they showed pics with the EX1 and it would be very nice to have the entire camera covered and have flip out which also covered the LCD or maybe the ability to insert their LCD Hood for easy viewing in the elements.

Attila Cser March 8th, 2008 05:04 AM

Porta Brace Multi cover

Hi all,

Yesterday I had a chance dressing up my Ex1 because my dealer here in Helsinki just got one. This is what I think after the indoor test:

I was very excited about getting some cover for the cam.
It took at least 15 min putting it on ( perhaps we're not too professional) but still if you need to do it often...hmmm.

Although the cover gives a funny look to the camera it covers it almost entirely but that also means reaching the controls is rather complicated.
Onboard mic however is sitting in a middle of a bigger opening which means the rain could easily reach a wider area around the mic.

When using a cover is essential - especially here in a North - I wonder if other simpler (cheaper) wouldn't do. (Price contra functionality rate seems rather low for PB multi( price here would be about 300€)

You can flip out the LCD as there's a small kinda "brick" type of room is available for that.

Bottom line: Porta Brace's Ex1 cover is not for continuous use.

Mark OConnell March 9th, 2008 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Bodnar (Post 839036)
Mark, do you have one? On the Portabrace website it shows an Z1 and in one shot it does have the LCD available granted part of the camera is exposed, I wish they showed pics with the EX1 and it would be very nice to have the entire camera covered and have flip out which also covered the LCD or maybe the ability to insert their LCD Hood for easy viewing in the elements.

No Jason, just going on what I could see in the pictures.