again, Minimum FCP setup? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 24th, 2008, 10:09 PM   #1
Regular Crew

again, Minimum FCP setup?

I have an Apple G5, single 1.8 Ghz processor, FCP 6.02, 2 internal SATA drives, and External firewires. Any hope of editing EX1 footage?

What would be a ballpark time to convert 10 minutes of the EX1 720p HD format to ProRes? to footage for DVD?
Chip Curry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2008, 01:50 PM   #2
Regular Crew

The software from Sony to convert EX1 clips needs FCP 6.0.2 If you can run this then you shouldn't have a problem.

As for a time to convert footage. That is so machine dependent as to make a guess completely inaccurate.

I have a quad MacPro and can do 10 min of footage to prores in under 2 min.
Chris Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2008, 02:27 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Chris. I guess I've just got to go for it. I was wondering if my machine would be able to play back HD footage without skipping frames.

Not many have these first G5s--I bought it a week after the first G5s appeared. But it still seems pretty fast.

Your machine really smokes on that ProRes conversion.
Old January 25th, 2008, 03:55 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I have a Dual 2.3GHz G5, FCP 6.0.2 and I'm getting about 1.4x with Sony Transfer Tool.

Yes a MacPro is in the cards but I can't stand buying before a major hardware change.

I got my G5 when I thought things were "in the clear" but a couple of months later Apple went from PCI-X to PCIe. Speed bumps happen all the time but major changes like that can REALLY BURN someone because card purchases become immediate dead ends.

My G5 has NO PROBLEM playing XDCAM native (.mov of course) although I haven't done any heavy compositing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Curry View Post
Thanks Chris. I guess I've just got to go for it. I was wondering if my machine would be able to play back HD footage without skipping frames.

Not many have these first G5s--I bought it a week after the first G5s appeared. But it still seems pretty fast.

Your machine really smokes on that ProRes conversion.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2008, 03:59 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I've seen some variables depending on how one is measuring speed.

I have an Intel Mini 1.83GHz and it gets 2x when using Sony Transfer Tool. If I copy the BVPA folder I get 4x though.

You're getting 5x but how are you measuring that. Copy folder in Finder, Clip Browser, Sony Transfer Tool?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Forbes View Post
The software from Sony to convert EX1 clips needs FCP 6.0.2 If you can run this then you shouldn't have a problem.

As for a time to convert footage. That is so machine dependent as to make a guess completely inaccurate.

I have a quad MacPro and can do 10 min of footage to prores in under 2 min.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2008, 05:54 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
I've seen some variables depending on how one is measuring speed.

I have an Intel Mini 1.83GHz and it gets 2x when using Sony Transfer Tool. If I copy the BVPA folder I get 4x though.

You're getting 5x but how are you measuring that. Copy folder in Finder, Clip Browser, Sony Transfer Tool?
That is just opening a clip and transcoding it into the prores format. My transfer times are on par with everyone elses about 2- 2.5x real speed.
Chris Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2008, 04:07 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I guess, I am willing to wait for file transfer and transcode. What worries me is not being able to watch footage playing clean in the timeline.

Can anyone say what is the minimum system to be able to view timelines of either ProRes or EX1 native Mpeg 2 with audio tracks.

does someone know of some full resolution clips I could download to try?
Old January 26th, 2008, 04:20 PM   #8
Trustee

I thought I needed to buy a MacBook Pro for this camera in the field, but now I'm not so sure. My buddy has a G4 PowerBook 1.67 MHtz. He just bought FCP6.02 and installed along with downloading the Sony software and he says its running fine. That's a big surprise to us. He says he can download through his USB from the camera (only about a Gig a minute though) and then look at files and play them back. All you really need in the field. Hasn't bought an expresscard to PCMCIA adapter yet as we are still sussing it out.
I will buy my FCP6 today and try it on my Powerbook 1.5MHtz.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2008, 04:41 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks Lenny, this is the best news I've heard all day. I can handle a new camera, but don't feel like buying a new MacPro just yet.

And I might say, I liked your glowing remarks at the Expo to the Sony rep--along with your three things they didn't get right. I agree, but think I can work around the three misses, the camera looks and feels great.
Chip Curry is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds