DF/NDF "flag" issue on Clock time at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 26th, 2008, 11:16 AM   #1
Inner Circle

DF/NDF "flag" issue on Clock time

When using Time of Day (Clock) time the time code should be Drop Frame.
If you jog through a recording in Quicktime (after .mov conversion) you'll see it IS Drop Frame. In Final Cut Pro it will jog as Non Drop Frame. Both Quicktime and Final Cut Pro report it as Non Drop Frame.

Work flow - Sony Transfer Tool 2.1 in Final Cut Pro 6.0.2.

Open the .mov file in QuickTime and use the timer display on the left and pull down. It'll show the time code as Non Drop Frame.

In FCP drop the clip from Browser to Viewer.
Go to upper right time code display and right click.
It'll report the time code as Non Drop Frame.

In Quicktime if you jog through the numbers you'll see it's Drop Frame (:29, :02) even though it reports Non Drop Frame.

In FCP it will jog as Non Drop Frame (:29, :00, :01, :02)

I'm not sure if Windows users are seeing the same but you might want to check. Again time code is Drop Frame as it should be but at least on Mac, the flag that Quicktime and FCP see shows Non Drop Frame.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2008, 11:28 AM   #2
Major Player

I stopped using Time of Day on the first day I got the camera because the files did not import. Perhaps it had something to do with this?

It sounds like at least you were able to get the clips to import.

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=108983
Eric Pascarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2008, 01:34 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Interesting Eric,

It seems our setups are similar. I wonder why mine import and yours don't.

I'm shooting 30p though and I think you're shooting 24p.

It may well be there's a time code flagging bug but the impact may be different depending on the 24p vs 30p. I wonder about 60i but I generally don't want to shoot interlace.

It's possible this isn't more widely reported because people aren't noticing . . . well they may not notice in 30p but they sure would notice if they can't import in 24p.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds