Music video - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 11th, 2008, 11:29 AM   #16
Trustee

I'm downloading the lastest version right now but I loved the first. I have to ask.....the DOF is very shallow for having no DOF adapter. I currently have and XLh1 and can get this look if I can get back a little and zoom in. However several of you shots seem to be "medium" shots yet still the wall behind the singer is blurry, despite appearing to be only 4-5 feet away. Is this what I can expect from a 1/2" sensor? Cause this video really looks polished for sure and the cinematography and selective focus are a big reason for it. There are some other shots that are in black and white that seem to be about the same distance where the DOF is much deeper.....can you elaborate or am I imagining that?

Great work.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 11:48 AM   #17
Major Player

yep.... 1/2" does make a big dif. I had Z1's before this cam and could not get this look without being back much further.

I shot everything wide open ( f1.9 ) and was only a few feet away....

I really feel no need for a DOF adaptor ( I had an early letus a few years ago ) with this cam. and believe me.... I shot with a 85mm f 1.2 wide open all the time with my canon 1ds3.... so I know what extreme DOF ( or lack of ) looks like.

The other thing I love about this cam is the CMOS chips handle flair much more like film..... I love to back light, and love flair. CCD chips would smear and just look like video to me.

and did I say I love the workflow? I don't miss tape at all!
Christopher Witz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 01:56 PM   #18
Trustee

Thanks for the input. I will seriously consider this camera...the only drawback is I still need to do some longform event recording to continue to fund my "creative projects" so I still need a longer recording medium. Any clue on a firestore device for this unit?

I will post my thoughts on the 4th revision after a while. Sorry to go off-topic slightly......now back to your regularly scheduled program.
Old February 11th, 2008, 02:58 PM   #19
Major Player

ya know you can just swap cards to and fro while recording with the ex1...... might want to lock it down pretty good to keep from jiggles though.

and one can use the sony hvrdr60 hard disk recorder as well.... but only in sq 25mb hdv setting.
Old February 11th, 2008, 04:59 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Great looking footage, that totally destroys my dsr 300. I am glad i won't be giving up any depth of feild when I switch. One thing though, is that rolling shutter on the drummer shots?
Andrew McMillan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 07:40 PM   #21
Major Player

no those are rubber sticks... hehe..... might be a little roll, but mostly 1/48th shutter blur. Does not bother me.
Old February 15th, 2008, 08:51 AM   #22
Trustee

Chris, I finally had the chance to watch the 4th version of the video and liked it a lot, however from a technical point of view, the DOF seemed to be much deeper overall. I'm not dogging it when I say this but it looks more like footage I have shot on my XL-h1, which is still very good, but just a little more videoish.....in my mind. Any ideas? Did you shoot with different settings?

Thanks.
Old February 15th, 2008, 09:09 AM   #23
Major Player

I played it safe and the angles where much wider.... so the dof is deep.

I'm with you and love sdof.... but sometimes you gotta do what the client wants.... they write the checks!

by the way.... check out the specs for getting this video on itunes.... how old school!

"Preferred tape format is beta sp / digi-beta / DVCAM

We may also send broadcast quality digital files provided they meet the
following requirements or are equivalent to the specs below. Please note
that submission of media as data files may result in an additional charge
based on any required time in their edit bay to output this content to tape
first.

If we wish to send a digital file, here are the desired specs: NTSC:
720x486, 29.97 fps"

such a shame.
Old February 20th, 2008, 09:06 AM   #24
Major Player

ok.... here's the final edit.....

http://www.witzke-studio.com/labelx/ibelieve.m4v.zip
Old February 20th, 2008, 01:54 PM   #25
Major Player

and here's the mpeg2 file that the itunes server requires.... (288MB)

http://www.witzke-studio.com/labelx/...7-mp2.mpeg.zip

please be aware that this video has been graded for a certain look... grain, glow, and s-curve.
Old February 20th, 2008, 02:56 PM   #26
Major Player

great video, i really like the intimate feel to it. It would be hard not to like to be honest. I like the look you have chosen aswel, suits the piece nicely.
Daniel Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2008, 01:20 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Man, I think you just sold me on the EX1, and that's a good point about the back lighting and flair--I love that kind of stuff!
Vladimir Chaloupka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 01:33 PM   #28
Trustee

very impressive.
Could you gives us the steps you took in having this look so fluid?
It's so consistent, it looks like a multicam shoot.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 09:55 AM   #29
New Boot

wow

I've been watching this thread since you first posted. I like the final version much better than the first (B&W acoustic). How involved were you in the artistic direction? I love the fact that everyone is singing along and smiling even though they aren't mic'd, and the drummer's stick tricks add great nuance. And Peter's spitting all over the sm57 was great to...like he's really singing and not just lip-syncing. Criticisms: we only saw the piano player like twice! and one other minor faux pas...that scarf Peter is wearing is soooo short! Honestly, it's distracting!

The video work is great though! very good, thoughtful shots. you have a real talent, especially if this was a one-man, one-camera job. I find myself in this situation a lot, and I am usually hard pressed to get results like this. I hope they paid you well!

Looking forward to more great footage from you! You've sold me on the camera, and Peter Searcy (I just bought Spark on itunes for "I Believe.")

-Jonathan
Jonathan Scruggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 01:09 PM   #30
Major Player

as for artistic direction.... peter picked the location (a working recording studio) and had the basic concept in mind... happy band members and b-roll of them gearing up mixed in.

everything else was up to me..... I'm a one man gig and do all my own grip, lighting, shooting, steadicam, editing, etc. Hell... I don't even like others helping me carry my gear back to the car.

great you bought peters album..... he's been at it a long time and works really hard at it. check out some of the other bands on the labelx label. Digby is one of my favs and hope to do some work with them in the future.
Christopher Witz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds