Peaking Disappears on Zoom-in at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 29th, 2008, 12:58 AM   #1
Major Player

Peaking Disappears on Zoom-in

I am having a problem with the peaking which seems to make it useless and I wondered if it was general. When I get to the end of a zoom into a subject or when I use expanded focus, the peaking disappears. I thought at first it might be a back focus issue but I don't see any obvious back focus problem.

Would just a tiny bit of back focus error do this? Shall I reset the back focus in the maintenance menu and see if it helps?
Michael H. Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2008, 02:36 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I actually had the opposite problem yesterday, although not using expanded focus.

Little peaking shown until just as I reach the end of the zoom range (close-in) when suddenly the whole screen turns dark blue (the color I selected for peaking) making it completely illegible.
Ian Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2008, 02:47 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Here, the peaking consistently disappears when in expanded focus - I thought it was so be design. How about the others?
Old January 29th, 2008, 03:07 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Could it be this: when zooming in, the depth-of-field is becoming more shallow, thus decreasing the in-focus part (throwing much of your picture out-of-focus) and peaking can be almost gone.

And there is no peaking available when using the expanded focus.

regards,
Erwin
Erwin van Dijck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2008, 03:36 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin van Dijck View Post
Makes sense - expanded focus is there to visually see the object is in focus with your naked eye, so to speak - while peaking might actually obscure it...
Old January 29th, 2008, 10:24 AM   #6
Major Player

This being so I think I will turn peaking off. To zoom in and expand with that great LCD is just fine for me and I am fairly blind (but maybe be not after tomorrow when I have eye surgery)
Michael H. Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2008, 07:58 PM   #7
Trustee

I find the peaking and expanded focus work great with the EX1.

I'm blown away with how well the EX1 is able to nail focus with the on board tools like peaking and expanded focus, not to mention the excellent LCD.

The LCD on this camera is just incredible.

I'm really not having any issues.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2008, 12:18 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Also Peaking works off of the contrast in an image. Those images with flat or underexposed lighting will have very little peaking.
Chris Forbes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds