Anyone using 35mm adapter with Ex-1 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 31st, 2008, 06:24 PM   #16
Trustee

sorry for the slow reply Lenny, been having a very busy week. Am shagged and need a long sleep! Love to know if anyone has more luck than me with the brevis/ flip/ ex1
Old February 3rd, 2008, 07:43 PM   #17
New Boot

Brevis Flip EX1

Had a EX1 on loan over the weekend to tryout, amazing camera! I hate to say it but I think might produces a better picture than my Xdcam F350. I own a Brevis and the Flip which I usually use on my HVX200. The flip is a great improvement over the standard unit, not just that the image is the right way up, but the longer optical path means the HVX is now focused at about 6 feet (rather than macro) and on the longer end of the zoom. This gives much better edge to edge sharpness. I've always liked the look of the Brevis, but now it is even better!
Getting to the point, I tried it on the EX and it works OK. The edge to edge sharpness is not great and there is some darkening on the left and right of the screen. I think it related to the Fuji zoom not the Brevis. If you zoom out enough to see the whole focusing screen of the Brevis there is no light falloff or edge softness. As you slowly zoom in the edges of the frame darken and go soft. I don't think it is enough to stop me shooting with an adapter, the images still look beautiful and the problem is not that obvious in real images as in test charts.
Tony Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2008, 03:35 PM   #18
New Boot

Hi!

I tried out my EX1 with my Brevis flip (CF1Le) yesterday and got pretty good results. Of course the same edge softness appered as with the Letus, but it is absolutely useable! And I must point out, in the areas where there is focus(3/4) the image is increadibly sharp!
What anoys me though is how the Brevis attaches to the camera. Should be some kind of quick look mechanism.
Tobias Martinsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2008, 04:53 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Brennan View Post
I don't think it is enough to stop me shooting with an adapter, the images still look beautiful and the problem is not that obvious in real images as in test charts.
I agree completely. Especially as these HD cameras keep getting better and better, the extra lenses and adapter glass tradeoffs become somewhat more obvious to us. The end result is what matters.
Bryan Suthard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2008, 05:14 PM   #20
Trustee

I don't know how you guys tolerate "its good in 3/4 of the image". I get fired for 3/4 sharp. I can't afford to do a job and have the director who I've just sold on the beauties of using an adapter say - : " what the hell is wrong with corners" - its just not professional.
I tested yesterday and found it was tolerable @ 5.6 and above on the EX-1. better at f8 but wide open on the EX - yikes.

- Lenny Levy
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2008, 06:58 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Letus, Redrock, Letus, Redrock??? It seems the Redrock has taken a back seat when matched to the EX1 versus Letus. Is this because one is better than the other or is one being promoted better by contributors to this forum. I'm trying to make a good buying decision and want to cut thru the fluff.
Jack Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2008, 08:53 PM   #22
Trustee

Jack,
There is more information than anyone could possibly absorb on the 35mm adapter forum. You left out the SGPro and the Brevis which are just as popular as the other two. Of the three the Redrock has so far not changed hardly at all in the last 2 years while the other manufacturers have been constantly improving their units. There are pros and cons to all of these products and discussing them can get pretty complicated.

Tony above said: "If you zoom out enough to see the whole focusing screen of the Brevis there is no light falloff or edge softness." All I can say is I saw serious softness in the corners of all the adapters on the EX though I haven't tested the SG with its own flip.

My belief is that if you want to use one for the Ex, I would wait until the adapter makers (mainly Brevis and/or Letus) revamp their optics to handle the EX.
You can get some good images out any of the 3 on the EX right now (don't know about redrock), especially if you're outside, but if you are indoors in a production situation I think you will be in trouble. It depends what kind of work you do. If you cut and direct your own stuff it doesn't matter.

lenny levy
Old February 7th, 2008, 09:09 PM   #23
Trustee

Phil, On my Ex-1 I tested the Brevis Flip with a Brevis and an SGPro Rev2, as well as a Letus yesterday.

Oddly I had the opposite experience and had the best luck with the Brevis Flip on Brevis adapter. All I looked at was charts though and they all looked soft in the corners with the video camera open anywhere beyond f5.6. I felt Brevis had the least vignetting though and the flatest field. No shadow on the right side. Its possible the Letus was sharper in the center, but I was looking for the best compromise focus spot between corners and center. What f stop have you been using your EX at when shooting with the letus? I thought they all looked pretty good at f8.
Old February 7th, 2008, 10:01 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Jack,

I have had the Redrock M2 for 3 years now and have been pleased with the results I have gotten with an FX1 and XH-A1. That said, I think it is hard to quantify objectively against others since there has not been that many objective comparisons. I was thinking of buying the Letus but am holding off for now since I don't know if I would really gain anything over the M2. I would like to see some focus chart tests with the Letus and EX1. I put my better tries up with the Redrock M2 earlier in this post. Is there anyone who can post some Letus resolution chart tests? I know there is a fix coming for the Letus and EX1 but I would like to see ANY resolution test in 1920X1080 because I would like to know if it would really be a better solution for the EX1.

Bryan
Old February 7th, 2008, 10:33 PM   #25
Major Player

You want sharp, have you tried a Lensbabies, see the blog @

http://web.mac.com/stevecahill/Steve...Blog/Blog.html
Old February 8th, 2008, 12:18 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Steve, thanks for the tip. I just happen to have a Lensbaby. My edge focus issues are completely cured :)

http://www.tampahighdef.com/lensbabyfocus.jpg
Old February 8th, 2008, 02:40 AM   #27
Regular Crew

About edge-to-edge sharpness on the EX1 (Letus Extreme)

I've ordered a letus for it myself and the problem with sharpness in the edges it's an issue with the EX1 - not the Letus. Of course the EX1 is sharp without the adapter but it's not the same as other cameras.

However - Aaron at Letus told me that they are making a screw-on adapter to put in between the fujinon lens and the letus so that you get edge to edge sharpness.

Looking forward to this
Oyvind Stokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2008, 07:59 PM   #28
Major Player

we've been testing the EX with the P+S tecknik and so far so good.

Jim Martin
Birns & Sawyer
Jim Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2008, 08:07 PM   #29
Trustee

[QUOTE=Jim Martin;822959]we've been testing the EX with the P+S tecknik and so far so good.

Jim,

Not sure what that means. Do you have sharp corners when the EX is wide open?

Lenny Levy
Old February 8th, 2008, 08:07 PM   #30
Major Player

Jim, what upgrade is needed to get the P&S 400 to accept the EX1?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds