There is only ONE version of the EX1, right? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 31st, 2008, 07:45 AM   #1
Major Player

There is only ONE version of the EX1, right?

Being from PAL-land (Germany) I plan to purchase the EX1 in the US. Just to make sure before I get started: There is only ONE version of the EX1, right?
Thanks in advance.
Old January 31st, 2008, 07:46 AM   #2
Major Player

Yes there is.
Sami Sanpakkila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2008, 08:24 AM   #3
Inner Circle

There is another good reason for us PAL users, exept for the price difference, to purchase an EX1 in the U.S... the EX1 still almost isn't available here!
Informed at two shops, big shops, they still don't know when they will get them...
I know a rental company who had ordered Sony camera's and they only got 1!
I've heard that there were at this moment only 30 camera's for our complete country (Belgium, isn't a big country, but still!)
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2008, 05:22 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathieu Ghekiere View Post
There is another good reason for us PAL users, exept for the price difference, to purchase an EX1 in the U.S... the EX1 still almost isn't available here!
Informed at two shops, big shops, they still don't know when they will get them...
I know a rental company who had ordered Sony camera's and they only got 1!
I've heard that there were at this moment only 30 camera's for our complete country (Belgium, isn't a big country, but still!)
I spoke to my dealer in Sweden today who delivered my camera just before Christmas. He now has cameras in stock unspoken for. In fact he offered to pull out a battery for me from one of the boxes since the battery is back ordered but he has cameras.

/ola
Ola Christoffersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2008, 03:00 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Nice to know, Ola.
In Belgium the situation is very sad. I hope this changes quickly.

p.s.: How do you feel working with the camera?
Old February 3rd, 2008, 05:16 PM   #6
Regular Crew

If you buy a camera outside Europe for use in Europe you probably don't get one with the CE certification that all electronics sold in Europe has. So it would not be certified for use within Europe. But it would probably work just fine.

There is a shortage in Europe and Sony reps told us there was a back order of 2500. But there is probably the same shortage all over since this camera has become a success that even Sony didn't anticipate.

We have all our ordered 14 and we got them among the first in the world and we are in Sweden/Europe. There is a post by Ola saying "they have arrived" and he was talking about the first two cameras we got. We use the same dealer.

And as Ola said there are some EX1's sitting at our dealer, why not buy em?
Andreas Johansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2008, 03:57 AM   #7
Major Player

Just called a German dealer. He claims that the US-version is not identical to the European version. I presume this is just a defensive statement due to the fact that the cam is - for much less money - already in stock in the US and not yet in Europe.
Old February 6th, 2008, 04:13 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Similar situation in Ireland. It's very frustrating actually. I ordered mine on 22 January and the dealer still can't give me an answer as to when he expects it to arrive.
Keith Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2008, 04:20 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Last time I checked Sweden is still a part of Europe and there are two EX1's sitting on a shelf here.

Your dealer might be referring to the fact that all electronics sold within EU needs a CE Certification and equipment sold in the US doesn't.
Andreas Johansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2008, 04:46 AM   #10
Regular Crew

To all you european buyers!

I'm sad to tell you that I tried to order the EX1 from BHPhotoVideo but was refused. Sony has put a restriction on all CineAlta products. All US retailers are not allowed to ship CineAlta products to Europe due to price differences.

I ended up buying from a store in England (probably not allowed to tell which).

Had to pay about 1300$ more here.. But then again, That was with two SxS cards and Sony Prime Support (2 year pick up at your house warranty).
Oyvind Stokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 06:45 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Can people refer me to shops in the EU that already have the EX1?
Because shops in Belgium/Netherlands STILL don't have the camera, and even worse, can't even say when they will get it.

This camera is already available for a large market in the US in January, I think it's sad that at the end of february, it's so difficult to get your hands on one camera in the EU.

I've heard people talking about the shops in England and Sweden?
I'm looking for respectable dealers. If it's forbidden to post to them, because they aren't sponsors, please pm me or send me a mail.

We want to buy this camera, because we need it for a shoot around beginning/mid march, and if we don't have it, we'll have to rent another camera, and it will cost us another 400 euros more because of this problem.

Thanks,
Old February 15th, 2008, 09:26 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas Johansson View Post
There is a shortage in Europe and Sony reps told us there was a back order of 2500.
A back order of 2500, or a back order until 2500?
;-}D
Old February 16th, 2008, 08:30 AM   #13
Inner Circle

PM people

Thanks for the pm's and mails that I got, greatly appreciated!
Old February 21st, 2008, 08:03 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Hey Matthieu,

This company doesn't sell it, but you can rent it: http://budgetcam.nl/?catid=6 Also located in Rotterdam, so not too far from Belgium. Perhaps they can tell you where they bought it.

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathieu Ghekiere View Post
Can people refer me to shops in the EU that already have the EX1?
Because shops in Belgium/Netherlands STILL don't have the camera, and even worse, can't even say when they will get it.

This camera is already available for a large market in the US in January, I think it's sad that at the end of february, it's so difficult to get your hands on one camera in the EU.

I've heard people talking about the shops in England and Sweden?
I'm looking for respectable dealers. If it's forbidden to post to them, because they aren't sponsors, please pm me or send me a mail.

We want to buy this camera, because we need it for a shoot around beginning/mid march, and if we don't have it, we'll have to rent another camera, and it will cost us another 400 euros more because of this problem.

Thanks,

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds