DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Recommend a case for the XDCAM EX? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/113648-recommend-case-xdcam-ex.html)

Chuck Heilig January 31st, 2008 11:21 AM

Recommend a case for the XDCAM EX?

Greetings All!

I was wondering which case you bought for your Sony XDCAM EX. I'm about to purchase one, and I'm thinking I might go for a hard shell case. Let me know what you got!

Thanks!

Chuck

Sami Sanpakkila January 31st, 2008 12:13 PM

I have a Portabrace SZW-3. It fits my EX1 with Cinevate rails, the LEX and a lens attached. It fits lots of accessories like all my 6 lenses, canned air, manual, playback equipment etc. Very happy with it. Its very compact. But it is big as is my rig.

Steven Davis January 31st, 2008 12:55 PM

I'm a hard case fan, I have a z1 and have it in a pelican.

Dennis Schmitz January 31st, 2008 02:14 PM

I would recommend Peli cases, too.

regards Dennis

Henry Dale January 31st, 2008 02:27 PM

Mine is in a Peli 1440 -- with the fatuous viewfinder removed, it fits lengthways with enough room behind it for a matte box, the mic is on its end in a hole down through the foam. In the layer underneath the camera are the batteries and a plastic box full of accessories (mattebox flags, 4x4 filters, short mic lead, brush, blower, remote control).

Jamie Baughman January 31st, 2008 05:41 PM

Here's the case I got...

http://www.kata-bags.com/Item.asp?pi...d=4&ProdLine=4

I shot some stuff at South by Southwest last year and felt like my shoulder was going to fall off after carrying an over the shoulder bag. Decided to go with the backpack this time around!

I'm also planning on using a 12" laptop and firewire drive to pull footage off in the field and there's room for that too.

Thanks

Paul Joy January 31st, 2008 08:36 PM

Mine lives in a Peli 1560 where it is protected from most things including the kids jumping on it and being thrown in and out of the car.

I got myself a Portabrace soft case today too just for those times when I want to wander around with the camera and a tripod, that really doesn't work with a hard case.

Paul.

Steven D. Martin January 31st, 2008 08:44 PM

I have to go to Germany three times this spring

I just got my EX-1 today (woo hoo!) and am also asking the case question. I need something I can carry onto an airplane (I'm tired of checking my JVC-HD100 in a Pelican case). The kicker is that every flight I take involves a regional jet, which has really small overhead bins. Suggestions?

Steven Thomas January 31st, 2008 09:06 PM

I can't believe you checked in a $6,000.00 USD camera!

Eric Pascarelli January 31st, 2008 09:12 PM

I have this undersized Porta-Brace. It's a bit of a squeeze, but the camera is reasonably well protected. There is no forcing needed or anything. The inside tray can just adjust wide enough for the EX1 hand grip. The opening is a little small to easily pull the camera out and in - but it's pretty good as long as you unzip it all the way. There's room for 2 or three batteries, the charger, some cables and a little bit more. No room for an on-camera shotgun mic, though. But if you take it off, no problem, along with a cable.

I bought it because I wanted something really small, like you. It fits easily in "normal" overheads and I think it would fit in most puddle jumpers, too.

http://www.portabrace.com/productB-CS-DV2U

Steven D. Martin January 31st, 2008 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Thomas (Post 818027)
I can't believe you checked in a $6,000.00 USD camera!

Hey, I had no choice. That's my point- if you carry on a camera, and the plane can't accommodate it in the cabin, then your option is to gate check it. NO!! The other option, then, is to put it in a big Pelican case and hope for the best. Fortunately it's turned out fine. But one of the reasons I got the EX-1 was the hope that it would be small enough to carry on planes again.

Steven D. Martin January 31st, 2008 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Pascarelli (Post 818028)
I have this undersized Porta-Brace. It's a bit of a squeeze, but the camera is reasonably well protected. There is no forcing [/url]

I generally shy away from Portabrace cases because they look so professional. They have "Steal Me" written across the sides of them. I'll check it out, though.

Eric Pascarelli January 31st, 2008 09:20 PM

I am always prepared to check my cameras when traveling internationally - I travel with a bunch of expensive Nikon stuff and very often some obscure airport will have a weird carry-on policy.

When I was in Glasgow (not what I would call an obscure airport, by the way) they would not let me take my cameras on board - no way - not if I paid extra - nothing. So I had to check them, or check my briefcase with my laptop in it!

On that note, I would not feel comfortable checking my EX1 in the Porta-Brace I recommended earlier. It would arrive in powdered form. Definitely need something bigger with more padding.

Eric Pascarelli January 31st, 2008 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven D. Martin (Post 818033)
I generally shy away from Portabrace cases because they look so professional. They have "Steal Me" written across the sides of them. I'll check it out, though.

They make a black version that looks a little less "News Crew."

Steven D. Martin February 1st, 2008 06:39 AM

Pelican 1510

Any sense of the Pelican 1510? Pelican claims that it's their largest FAA approved carry-on case. So- a traveler could plan to carry it on (albeit with a painful search at terminal security screening), then if it cannot be accommodated on board (ala regional jet), it could be gate-checked with relatively little concern.

BUT: will the camera fit in it?

Dimensions: Outside 22"L x 14"W x 9"D, Inside 20.2"L x 11.4"W x 7.5"D