Backpack for the EX1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 31st, 2008, 10:35 PM   #1
Major Player

Backpack for the EX1

I am looking for a backpack style bag for the EX1, I have one for my DSLR setup and it works great!! I was looking for somthing very similar to this...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Backpack.html

I would just order this and make it work but the EX1 dimentions say
(WxHxD) 7.2 x 7 x 12.4" (17.8 x 17.6 x 31.2 cm)

and the Backpack above says

L *: 62 cm */ 24.4 inch
W: 24.5 cm / 9.64 inch
H : 16 cm */ 6.30 inch

I am worried about the difference in Height...

Any ideas?
Jason Bodnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2008, 11:35 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I got this one.

http://www.kata-bags.com/Item.asp?pi...d=4&ProdLine=4

Check it out. Should have room for a computer and a couple other little ancillary items.
Old February 1st, 2008, 12:40 AM   #3
Major Player

Jamie, the link got cut off and does not work, did you get the HB-207 or was it the GRIZZLY-3 (CBP-3)

Thanks again!!
Old February 1st, 2008, 12:47 AM   #4
Regular Crew

hb - 205

Try this link: http://www.kata-bags.com/Item.asp?pi...d=1&ProdLine=1
Old February 1st, 2008, 12:56 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks! I will check that out...Would you have room in it for the Letus extreme and rails? They obviously would probably have to be removed and placed in seperately...but would they fit? It looks like a nice one!
Old February 1st, 2008, 02:55 AM   #6
New Boot

Hb-207

I picked up the slightly larger Kata HB-207.

A tad bigger than the 205 - but suits me well. Perfect for carry on luggage if you don't overload it. I get my EX1, a mic, charger, battery, 17" Macbook Pro, iPod, small hard drive, book and sundry carry on items. Great bag - there is also an optional insert trolly if you need wheels.

Last edited by Simon Cox; February 1st, 2008 at 02:56 AM. Reason: wrong URL used
Simon Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2008, 03:43 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Simon,

Did you actually fit a 17" laptop into the 207? I have tried two models: the 207 and the BP-502; they both are said on the Kata pages to hold a laptop of up to 17" size, but in fact only the 502 does. It's huge anf heavy though - I wish I could go with the smaller and over 1 kg lighter 207...
Old February 1st, 2008, 10:50 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Cox View Post
I picked up the slightly larger Kata HB-207.

A tad bigger than the 205 - but suits me well. Perfect for carry on luggage if you don't overload it. I get my EX1, a mic, charger, battery, 17" Macbook Pro, iPod, small hard drive, book and sundry carry on items. Great bag - there is also an optional insert trolly if you need wheels.
great bag! i have been using a lowpro backback but i like the removable wheels!!!

can you confirm that you have got the HB207 on as an inflight bag? on more than one airline? I travel alot and hate airlines haha!! they always give me hassle.
Brendan Pyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2008, 11:26 AM   #9
Major Player

I got the Petrol - just love it. Very well made, stylish, takes a 17" notebook and the EX1 with a matte box on it. A bit expensive at a little over $250 but I'm very pleased.
Michael H. Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 03:19 AM   #10
Major Player

Michael, are saying you have the Petrol that I opened the thread with and it works with the EX1?
Old February 2nd, 2008, 04:17 AM   #11
New Boot

I have indeed managed to get the 17" Macbook Pro into the bag - its a bit of a struggle though and you do need to be smart about how you pack the bag.

I've taken the bag on several international flights now - every time as hand luggage without a problem - my knack is to check in my cases and always have the backpack over one shoulder whilst doing this - it doesn't look too big that way. Nice bag with good space for the odd extra item.
Simon Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 04:21 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Cox View Post
I have indeed managed to get the 17" Macbook Pro into the bag - its a bit of a struggle though and you do need to be smart about how you pack the bag.

I've taken the bag on several international flights now - every time as hand luggage without a problem - my knack is to check in my cases and always have the backpack over one shoulder whilst doing this - it doesn't look too big that way. Nice bag with good space for the odd extra item.
Thanks Simon - that means my Sony Vaio 17-incher must be quite much bigger than the Macbook - it barely goes inside the 502! It's a pity, because otherwise the 207 would be enough for the EX1, and is so much lighter!
Old February 2nd, 2008, 06:21 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Bodnar View Post
Michael, are saying you have the Petrol that I opened the thread with and it works with the EX1?
No. My Petrol is bigger. It is this one http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Backpack.html
Michael H. Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2008, 01:14 AM   #14
Major Player

Thanks Michael...That looks like a winner, I like it!
Old February 3rd, 2008, 01:37 AM   #15
Major Player

I love it. It is so well made and very comfortable to wear. I split my sticks into two bits and hang one bit on each side - it has straps and pockets for the tripods feet, and it works real well. Looks good too and cheaper than that papoose one.
Michael H. Stevens is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds