Hood recommendation for EX1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 1st, 2008, 12:09 PM   #1
Major Player

Hood recommendation for EX1?

What is everyone using?

Thanks
Mike
Michael Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2008, 12:50 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Portabrace CBA-EX1 it should arrive mid next week. I had a Kata that was from my Z1 but I did not like the fit.
Old February 1st, 2008, 03:33 PM   #3
Major Player

One of the stands at the video forum had one on display yesterday. It feels really nice, much softer than I expected. Unfortunately it was not fitted to a camera which was a shame.

I have to say though that I did not feel like I was holding something that should cost over £200. I'm not sure where that price comes from but it does seem a lot for what it is.

I thought KATA's rain cover looked quite nice, what problems did you have with it?

Paul.
Old February 1st, 2008, 04:04 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I agree Paul it seems like a lot of money for such a small item but it is hand made. I will let you know what I think since mine comes mid next week. Then goes on the road and get worked hard.
Old February 4th, 2008, 02:17 PM   #5
Major Player

I got my RS-EX1 rain slicker today. Supposedly from the very first batch. My camera actually went all the way to Vermont to model for this and all other PortaBrace products for the EX1 in mid december.
Anyway - I was impressed with the overall quality and features. I have not owned a PB rainslicker before so I did not know what to expect but it seems to be able to keep the camera dry in very heavy rain. I can get to all controls fairly easy and the viewfinder can be viewed both from above, below or straight on while protected from the rain. This is acomplished by using transparent protection both above it and below.
I find it a bit time consuming to get the camera "dressed" but this might improve when I get som training.
Also - the only inconveniance I have discovered this far is that it is a little hard to get a good grip on the focus through the cover. The velcro is scratching my hand as I reach in to pull focus in an annoying way.
Ola Christoffersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 02:31 PM   #6
Major Player

Ola, can you use the LCD with the slicker or just the viewfinder? I assume just the viewfinder.
Benjamin Eckstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 03:38 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Eckstein View Post
Ola, can you use the LCD with the slicker or just the viewfinder? I assume just the viewfinder.
Oh - sorry! When I wrote viewfinder I meant the LCD. Makes more sense now doesn't it? ;-) You can ALSO use the viewfinder.
Ola Christoffersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 04:18 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Ola that is good new I look forward to my hood showing up on Wed.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds