Adam Wilt on the EX1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 2nd, 2008, 04:22 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Adam Wilt on the EX1

http://provideocoalition.com/index.p..._hd_camcorder/

Good to know Adam finds many more pros than cons :) BTW, I'm proud my observations are basically the same as Adam's (like the mosquito noise around fine contrasty edges, or the latitude being the greatest of all sub $10k cameras)

;)
Old February 2nd, 2008, 04:35 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Thanks Piotr - excellent article.
The very first internet article I ever read on Digital Video was by Adam Wilt - a very long time ago. Still love the quality of his reviews.

Interesting quotes:

"This is a big deal: the EX1 captures and records a true, square-pixel 1920x1080 image, with no single-sensor (Bayer mask) artifacts. There are two other camcorders that can make the same claim: the $48,000 Panasonic HPX3000, and the $180,000 Sony F23" - Adam Wilt

"In 1995, I saw a then-new DCR-VX1000 DV camcorder hooked up to a 32” CRT via Y/C. I stopped dead in my tracks: the pictures looked incredibly sharp and detailed, and when I tried recording a short clip and playing it back, playback looked just as sharp and detailed as the live signal. It was a pivotal moment: color-under analog simply wasn’t good enough any more.
I had a similar experience with the PMW-EX1. The first time I shot a resolution chart, my eyes popped: here for the first time was an affordable 1080-line camera that wasn’t compromising on resolution. Then I recorded and played back some HQ clips… there’s no longer a need to settle for anything less than full HD." Adam Wilt
Paul Dhadialla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 04:40 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Yeah. What I find of a particular interest is Adam's assessment of the ASA sensitivity, on which reports were so differing: yes, it might be 800 ASA but only in the interlaced mode; in progressive it's just the more realistic 400 ASA. This is the reason I was a bit disappointed with the lowlight performance, as I'm exclusively using progressive!
Old February 2nd, 2008, 04:58 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Piotr, Yes - same here. Going to stick to progressive too.

In the 'Texas Shootout' article from last year (Adam was part of that too) the Z1u (another camera I own) was given a rating of 160 ASA @ 1080i. Compared to both the 400 and 800, this is great.

I think as CRT'S fade away and most people will be watching on progressive displays (lcd/plasma) - this is ultimately the best recording mode.

Everytime I see 30P HQ on my apple cinema display i'm blown away.
Some shots feel like i'm looking through a glass.
I don't have a 1920x1080 display yet. I'm looking at the Dell 27" possibly - heard it has a really good gamut, 1:1 pixel mapping and good refresh/contrast

Cheers
Paul
Old February 2nd, 2008, 08:49 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Dhadialla View Post
the Z1u (another camera I own) was given a rating of 160 ASA @ 1080i. Compared to both the 400 and 800, this is great.

Agreed!
I'm very happy with its low light performance.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 08:56 AM   #6
Inner Circle

One must also remember that the progressive mode's lower sensitivity can be compensated by using 360deg shutter (shutter off) without smearing, while in the interlaced the slowest shutter giving full exposure per field is twice as fast.
Old February 2nd, 2008, 09:32 AM   #7
Trustee

Adam's review is top notch as usual. He is quite the technical resource in this business. This review is very thorough and covers the pros and cons well.
Old February 2nd, 2008, 10:08 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Agree Steven,

The technical detail is Adam's articles are always very practical !

Piotr - yes true. Shutter off makes it just as bright at 30P HQ

Paul
Old February 2nd, 2008, 10:33 AM   #9
Wrangler

Quote:
In the 'Texas Shootout' article from last year (Adam was part of that too)l
Wow, how time flies, Paul. It's coming up on TWO years ago now that we did that shootout. It is where I met and fell in love with my current camera, the F350.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 11:15 AM   #10
Trustee

Yes,
I wish my pockets were deep enough to get the F350. ;)
Old February 2nd, 2008, 12:00 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Hi Piotr, Yes - same here. Going to stick to progressive too.

In the 'Texas Shootout' article from last year (Adam was part of that too) the Z1u (another camera I own) was given a rating of 160 ASA @ 1080i. Compared to both the 400 and 800, this is great.

I think as CRT'S fade away and most people will be watching on progressive displays (lcd/plasma) - this is ultimately the best recording mode.

Everytime I see 30P HQ on my apple cinema display i'm blown away.
Some shots feel like i'm looking through a glass.
I don't have a 1920x1080 display yet. I'm looking at the Dell 27" possibly - heard it has a really good gamut, 1:1 pixel mapping and good refresh/contrast

Cheers
Paul
If you have the room for it, I have been editing on a Samsung 5271 52" as a second display, and have been blown away by the picture.
Charles Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 12:18 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Tell me about your setup. I have Samsung 4661 46" display.
While it certainly wouldn't be accurate for color correction its the kind of thing that will impress clients as I "up sell" them to HD.

I've checked camera component to monitor. I'm thinking about how to feed computer to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Young View Post
If you have the room for it, I have been editing on a Samsung 5271 52" as a second display, and have been blown away by the picture.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 01:38 PM   #13
Major Player

The Intensity is a good choice for inexpensive HDMI monitoring.
Joseph H. Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2008, 08:01 AM   #14
Tourist

Intensity card

I've read (and heard from Blackmagic tech support) that the Intensity pro doesn't support 1080p, only 1080i.

For that reason, I thinking I'm going with the AJA Kona LH and use its component outputs. I understand the LH supports 1080p.

Is anyone using the Intensity Pro card with footage shot at 1080p HQ?
Andrew Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2008, 09:22 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Wilson View Post
Is anyone using the Intensity Pro card with footage shot at 1080p HQ?
I am. Looks great--does the pulldown in real time. I can only compare it to FCP's digital cinema desktop though (much better).
Rob Collins is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds