IR Remote at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 2nd, 2008, 11:20 AM   #1
Regular Crew

IR Remote

Got my cam yesterday and the only thing that seems to be an issue is my IR remote seems not to work. I took out the protective film and re-inserted and replaced the battery. Tried from multiple locations and it didn't work. Then I realized I hadn't turned on the IR Remote switch in the menu :S

After turning that on though, it still didn't work.

Any thoughts? I may just have a dud remote, but thought I'd check here first.

Thanks
Old February 2nd, 2008, 11:23 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Howdy...

There is a setting in the menu system to turn on the IR remote. If it's set to 'off' that could be why your remote doesn't work...

-Ben
---------------------------------------------------------
neo-fight.tv - {The Weekly Technology Podcast}
Ben Freedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 11:24 AM   #3
Trustee

Jamie,
You're right, you have to turn it on in the menu settings. Actually this parameter shuts off when powering down the camera.
I'm not sure why Sony chose to have it shut off. Probably for safety during recording.
I'm not sure why yours is not working?
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 11:35 AM   #4
Inner Circle

You have to turn it on in camera and the camera sensor is in the front (for ENG types).

Yesterday though, I discovered my remote stopped working (I hadn't used it in a couple of weeks). I need to check whether it's the remote's battery, the remote, the camera at fault.

So Jamie, there may well be an issue. Do try turning it on and standing in front the camera. The sensor is near the built in stereo mic.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 11:53 AM   #5
Wrangler

If indeed it works like the full size camera I have, the remote is disabled by default every time the camera is powered on. I have an assignable switch set up for enabling the remote.

Steven is exactly right. Here is the reason for that. The EX-1 is a professional camera and as such, it's believed that it will be shooting footage that would be costly to the owner if interfered with. Therefore, the IR remote is not something to be left active unless its specifically needed at that time.

I specifically taught that issue in my NAB class for Sony last year. Also, as I stated elsewhere, you should be able to point the remote at the flip out LCD and have it sensed by the camera.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 12:03 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Greg, Adam Wilt in his review just posted found as I did, the remote ONLY works when in front of the camera unless maybe we both missed something. It did not work pointing at the LCD when my remote was last working.

My remove, like Jamie's apparently, does not work AT ALL now even with IR Enabled in the menu. Pout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston View Post
If indeed it works like the full size camera I have, the remote is disabled by default every time the camera is powered on. I have an assignable switch set up for enabling the remote.

Steven is exactly right. Here is the reason for that. The EX-1 is a professional camera and as such, it's believed that it will be shooting footage that would be costly to the owner if interfered with. Therefore, the IR remote is not something to be left active unless its specifically needed at that time.

I specifically taught that issue in my NAB class for Sony last year. Also, as I stated elsewhere, you should be able to point the remote at the flip out LCD and have it sensed by the camera.

-gb-
Old February 2nd, 2008, 12:11 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks for the replies all,

Unfortunately, it looks like I just have a dud. Stood in front of the cam and nothing. That's after turning on the IR switch in camera menu.

Thanks anyways.
Old February 2nd, 2008, 12:13 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Mine did work for a bit and apparently died. It does seem that EX1 problems happen in groups.

Maybe this is something others haven't tested yet.

Please do since two of us apparently have non working remotes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Baughman View Post
Thanks for the replies all,

Unfortunately, it looks like I just have a dud. Stood in front of the cam and nothing. That's after turning on the IR switch in camera menu.

Thanks anyways.
Old February 2nd, 2008, 12:45 PM   #9
Trustee

try flipping the battery or getting a new one. Maybe its in upside down.

Mine worked from behind the camera. I think its great because your tech can use it to paint the camera just like with "real" equipment.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 03:42 PM   #10
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
Greg, Adam Wilt in his review just posted found as I did, the remote ONLY works when in front of the camera unless maybe we both missed something. It did not work pointing at the LCD when my remote was last working.
Okay Craig, perhaps not. Leonard says his remote works from behind the camera.

It is beginning to sound as if there may be some issues with some of the IR units but even that is kind of strange because it's the exact same remote that ships with the larger cameras AFAICT from outward appearance.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 04:11 PM   #11
Trustee

Yes,
If you have a DVM, check to see if the battery has some life.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 04:57 PM   #12

Tried...my remote does NOT work from behind the camera. Bear in mind that IR signals reflect off of surfaces that one wouldn't judge to be reflective, based on optical wavelengths.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 06:47 PM   #13
Trustee

I was very close to the camera when I tried it so that m,ay have bearing. i hope you can be behind the camera as that is whjat makes sense. It's almost pointless the other way.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 08:14 PM   #14
Major Player

It WILL work when you are behind the camera only if you hold the front of the IR remote at the top front of the built-in microphone. It's a bit awkward as you need hold out your arm over the camera but you can easily use use it to control zooms etc without touching the camera.
Michael H. Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 10:44 PM   #15
Major Player

Hi Folks,

When you get your IR Remote's working, then set them up to use via fiberoptic cable. You can then have the Remote pretty much anywhere you want it. I've done this for all 5 of my Cams. Been using it for years.

Check my posts for Pics and explanation of how too. Or PM me for info.

Harold
Harold Schreiber is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds