Firestore, etc.? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 3rd, 2008, 01:44 PM   #1
Major Player

Firestore, etc.?

I am just about to purchase an EX1 and while I plan to purchase a 16GB card alond with the 2 8's from Sony I feel compelled to look into a firestore device for situations where I simply can't download the cards.
Is there an approved and reliable Firestore like device that will work with the camera in the 25mbs. mode? Will it save the files as QT for import directly into FCP?
If such a device is out there, it will sure make me feel a lot more comfortable shooting chaos at a 10 hour day wedding with no time for downloads.
Thanks, Craig
Craig Hollenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2008, 01:55 PM   #2
Major Player

One 8-bit card will fit on a DL DVD. A good cheap solution is to carry a laptop and transfer cards to disk.
Michael H. Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2008, 02:12 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael H. Stevens View Post
One 8-bit card will fit on a DL DVD. A good cheap solution is to carry a laptop and transfer cards to disk.
That is an inexpensive solution but...I'll need to get a DL drive for my non-intel 17" mac pro...no problem. However, I barely have time to take a bathroom break. My assistant is also shooting with our Z1U...so he's out of comission.
Also, what would be the least expensive card reader so as not to tie up the camera?
Have you ever heard of anyone using an external HD recorder with the EX!?
Thanks, Craig
Old February 3rd, 2008, 02:23 PM   #4
Major Player

You can do that from the HD-SDI out port. Compliant recorders are expensive but they are there.
Michael H. Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2008, 02:38 PM   #5
Major Player

HD as in Hard Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael H. Stevens View Post
You can do that from the HD-SDI out port. Compliant recorders are expensive but they are there.
I guess what I should have said was an external Hard Drive Recorder like the firestore. That would be very desirable.
I have a Sony HVR M-15 HDV deck, and I guess that it could be rigged to run on batteries, but not to great to hang over one's shoulder while on the go.
Will the slot on my older Mac Book Pro accept the new Sony cards directly for download or will I need to resort to a USB interface? If i must resort to bringing the lap top, I would be concerned about how long it would take to dump an 8GB card via USB.
Thanks, Craig
Old February 4th, 2008, 04:46 AM   #6
Major Player

Craig,

It has been said on the forum before that the Sony portable hard disk drive (I think it is HVRDR60) works with the Ex1, but only in SQ mode, as the firewire port only works for HDV compliant data streams. So yes you can use a HD recorder if you wish - just not in HQ mode.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds