DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   EX-1 active outputs (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/113900-ex-1-active-outputs.html)

Sean Donnelly February 4th, 2008 06:52 AM

EX-1 active outputs

During my time testing the EX, one thing I didn't have time to cover was whether or not multiple video outputs can be active at once. For example on the HVX the component and composite outputs cannot be active at the same time. Can anyone with a camera investigate this? I'd love to have HD-SDI and composite at the same time, or even better component as well.

-Sean

Hakan Haraldsson February 4th, 2008 07:32 AM

I have the same problem...
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=112955

Steven Thomas February 4th, 2008 10:37 AM

Sean, I've hooked up my Dell monitor via SDI and component off of the EX1. I was able to switch inputs on the monitor. Both signals are on, granted I did not check if they were actually on at the very same time. But, based on both electrical connections were hooked up and the signals were present when switched on the monitor, I believe it works.

Brian Jansen February 4th, 2008 11:07 AM

SDI and HD component work at the same time. I've used both together on a shoot feeding a DVCPro Deck and monitoring via component. I know that you can't have SDI and firewire use at the same time. Maybe firewire and HD component works together at the same time but I haven't tried that combo yet.

Alexander Ibrahim February 6th, 2008 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Jansen (Post 819928)
SDI and HD component work at the same time. I've used both together on a shoot feeding a DVCPro Deck and monitoring via component. I know that you can't have SDI and firewire use at the same time. Maybe firewire and HD component works together at the same time but I haven't tried that combo yet.

I don't have a unit to test on, but I asked a Sony SSE this very thing. That was before the camera shipped though.

Don't consider my answer as definitive- just use it as a guide for testing.

HD outputs work at the same time. So component and HD SDI will work.

XDCAM HQ does not output over firewire.

XDCAM SP (aka HDV mode) only outputs via firewire and one other HD output. (I think that its selectable component or SDI. Might be SDI, i.e. "all digital" only.)

If the camera is set to output SD, then you get (composite and component) or (SD SDI.) No firewire.

Hope that helps.

Rajiv Attingal February 7th, 2008 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexander Ibrahim (Post 821609)
I don't have a unit to test on, but I asked a Sony SSE this very thing. That was before the camera shipped though.

If the camera is set to output SD, then you get (composite and component) or (SD SDI.) No firewire.

Hope that helps.

This means that SD output from this camera can't be captured through firewire,
for that you need SD SDI or SD analogue component input devise.Am I right?.

Alexander Ibrahim February 7th, 2008 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rajiv Attingal (Post 821794)
This means that SD output from this camera can't be captured through firewire,
for that you need SD SDI or SD analogue component input devise.Am I right?.

Yes that is the case. Again assuming my information is right.

It is a sensible omission.

The firewire output would be DV compressed in any case so there would be absolutely no technical advantage to capturing SD over firewire. Its faster and easier to transfer and convert XDCAM SP or HQ to DV25 from the SxS cards. You also get more data that way.

EDIT: I messed this part up: What I meant here is that you get more data from the live SD outputs of the camera than you would over SD firewire output. This got brought up a couple of posts down.

I think that live SD outputs are really more of a concession to transitional SD to HD houses. Many users buying this camera have to use SD monitors, or scopes.

Rajiv Attingal February 7th, 2008 04:08 AM

[QUOTE=Alexander Ibrahim;821800]
Its faster and easier to transfer and convert XDCAM SP or HQ to DV25 from the SxS cards. You also get more data that way.

Can you explain the process of transferring from SxS card to SD DV?.And what
additional data we get by doing this way other than the firewire capture.

Rajiv

Alexander Ibrahim February 7th, 2008 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rajiv Attingal (Post 821843)
Can you explain the process of transferring from SxS card to SD DV?.And what
additional data we get by doing this way other than the firewire capture.

On transferring to SD from SxS:
Its in the manual. I haven't done it myself. Usually I just drop my HD footage on an SD timeline and let Final Cut convert it at output. Less to think about and I trust Final Cut more.

On more SD data from XDCAM:
You do get more image detail, like you would from an HD footage. You also get uncompressed PCM audio, which is a step up from HDV.

But that isn't what I meant- I mis typed. Or maybe I deleted something.

What I meant is that you will get more data if you capture live from the SD outputs of the camera, which are 4:2:2 color, and 10 bit if you use the SDI output.