abrupt highlights clipping - Page 20 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 7th, 2008, 01:27 PM   #286
Inner Circle

I have shifted the STD1 knee 95 slightly towards red in Vegas, to get rid of the bluish tint in shadows. It's better now, I think.

The conclusion is: each preset needs its individual colour balancing!
Attached Thumbnails
abrupt highlights clipping-std1-knee95-rgb-parade.jpg   abrupt highlights clipping-std1-knee95-cced-rgb-parade.jpg  

abrupt highlights clipping-std1-knee95.jpg   abrupt highlights clipping-std1-knee95-cced.jpg  

Old March 7th, 2008, 01:55 PM   #287
Regular Crew

Hi Piotr,
A little off topic but...
How close can you get your V1 to match up with the EX1 as a B cam ?
Aloha,
Wayne
Wayne Zebzda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2008, 02:40 PM   #288
Inner Circle

Unfortunately, I sold my V1E - one of the silly things I've done lately :) So, no B camera!

But of course I do have plenty of HDV stuff, shot with it - and it actually intercuts quite well, especially with the SP mode material from the EX1.

But even in SP mode, the EX1 codec is cleaner - especially in low-light and with fine detail. To me, the difference is quite obvious; colours you can grade to match, but the increased mosquito noise in the V1E can be noticed.

That said, to the casual viewer the combined renders look great.

Last edited by Piotr Wozniacki; March 8th, 2008 at 06:54 AM.
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2008, 03:44 PM   #289
Major Player

Don't know if you've been through this article, but have a look there : http://prolost.blogspot.com/2008/02/...mic-range.html
Sebastien Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2008, 04:16 PM   #290
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastien Thomas View Post
Don't know if you've been through this article, but have a look there : http://prolost.blogspot.com/2008/02/...mic-range.html
Whoa! Stick that under my pillow and hope it makes more sense in the morning. Very interesting though.
Benjamin Eckstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2008, 04:44 PM   #291
Trustee

Quote:
Mandatory reading. The reply (way down the page) from Jason Rodriquez explains the issue very well. Keep in mind that the discussion relates to cameras recording 10bitLog and beyond. Even then they don't come close to 35mm neg.
My thanks to Sebastian for posting the link. What a breath of fresh air in this thread to read something by people who do the hard yards required to understand what they are working with. And my hat goes off to Stu for his work modelling the issue in AE.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2008, 08:16 PM   #292
Major Player

I just had to comment on this. Did you read what Piotr said regarding the blue-clipping? He said Adam Wilt confirmed what I said! That made my day.
Michael H. Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2008, 09:41 PM   #293

Irrelevant.....Red is RAW, the EX1 is not.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2008, 02:21 AM   #294
Inner Circle

Quote:
Thanks Sebastien for the link - great reading!
Old March 8th, 2008, 09:47 AM   #295
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Eckstein View Post
Whoa! Stick that under my pillow and hope it makes more sense in the morning. Very interesting though.
This article reinforces a lot of my observations as spoke of in the "under-exposing" post. Even with the EX1 roll-off curves more highlight detail is obtained with about a stop underexposure with the middle brought up in post. This article is very relevant as long as you realise the difference in the Panalog and Red curves vis a vie the EX1's hyper gammas.
Old March 9th, 2008, 08:37 AM   #296
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael H. Stevens View Post
This article reinforces a lot of my observations as spoke of in the "under-exposing" post.
As I see it, this hasn't been the unambiguous conclusion at all. Jason Rodriguez, whom Bob is referring to, says in his comment to the article:

"Hi Elliot, you're right, you want to expose "to the right" to maximize signal to noise ratio".

Your "under-exposing" theory is good for getting more headroom for highlits, but brings in the danger of getting too close to the "noise floor".

So frankly, no definite conclusion from this article to me...

Last edited by Piotr Wozniacki; March 9th, 2008 at 09:15 AM.
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2008, 09:03 AM   #297
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
As I see it, this hasn't been the unambiguous conclusion at all. Jason Rodriguez, whom Bob is referring to, says in his comment to the article:

"Hi Elliot, you're right, you want to expose "to the right" to maximize signal to noise ratio".

Your "under-exposing" theory is good for getting more headroom for highlits, but brings about the danger of getting to close to the "noise floor".

So frankly, no definite conclusion from this article to me...
Actually, the article says 1.25 stops down will give the headroom with little noise. Anyway, to is Sunday, another test day and now Cineform NEO-HD is fixed for me I'll be testing this along with my HiStat test to day. I'm also ASKING here. To exposure at this level where should the Zebras be? IE how many Zebra percents is one and a half stops? Is this Doug Jensen's 95?
Old March 9th, 2008, 09:13 AM   #298

Mike...

Keep an eye on your shadows. I think you'll see some pretty bad noise, even at 1 stop under. As I've been saying all along, expose to the right.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2008, 09:13 AM   #299
Inner Circle

It's my opinion that the zebra should still be at 100% (as this is the only setting possible with Zebra 2; Zebra 1 is adjustable, but will span a +/- range thus cluttering your view).
Old March 9th, 2008, 11:30 AM   #300
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
It's my opinion that the zebra should still be at 100% (as this is the only setting possible with Zebra 2; Zebra 1 is adjustable, but will span a +/- range thus cluttering your view).
Very good point Piort. I knew this and totally forgot the problem of the Zebra #1 95 being 90-100. I'm mystyfied how a cut-off point (as a Zebra setting is) can have a range?

Maybe, if you set Zebra #1 to 100, then when zebras FIRST appear you are at 95?????????
Michael H. Stevens is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds