Lexar Memory? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 4th, 2008, 06:33 PM   #1
Major Player

Lexar Memory?

I spoke with a Sony tech today who told me that putting this card into the camera wouldn't hurt it, (camera or card) however, while it may work, it was not "Sony Certified". Not sure what exactly that meant.
http://www.nextag.com/Lexar-Media-16...63/prices-html

So, my question is, has anyone tried? Do these inexpensive cards work?
I am very tempted to try one, but thought I'd ask first. Thoughts?
Best, Craig
Craig Hollenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 06:39 PM   #2
Major Player

If you do try it let us know how it goes, that's certainly a very attractive price for 16Gb.
Old February 4th, 2008, 06:40 PM   #3
Regular Crew

We have a 4Gb card from lexmar. It doesn't work, the camera says wrong media format. And the SxS USB Reader doesn't even blink its leds trying to read it.

I would say that the 8 and 16gb don't work either.

We wanted to use it to save our camera settings on since we have 14 Cameras and needed a cheap card to copy settings from.

/Andy
Andreas Johansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 06:44 PM   #4
Major Player

Thank You!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas Johansson View Post
We have a 4Gb card from lexmar. It doesn't work, the camera says wrong media format. And the SxS USB Reader doesn't even blink its leds trying to read it.

I would say that the 8 and 16gb don't work either.

We wanted to use it to save our camera settings on since we have 14 Cameras and needed a cheap card to copy settings from.

/Andy
I really appreciate that feedback...wow, that would have been a costly mistake for me. Thanks again.
Best, Craig
Craig Hollenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 06:51 PM   #5
Regular Crew

We are going to talk to Sony about this since we don't want to us a expensive 8gb SxS card only for storing settings. But I guess the answer will be that there are no plans for other cards for now.

One way of saving settings would be to save it on a SxS card and then move it to a computer, if I remember correct there will be a special folder on the card for saved settings.

But I guess you wanted to use it for recording.
Old February 4th, 2008, 06:57 PM   #6
Major Player

I read that all non Sony cards had been locked out by firmware for now. Maybe they will work if this lock gets removed with a firmware update. My dealer is now listing the Sandisk cards for the EX1, so something must be happening.
Old February 4th, 2008, 07:04 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Yeah but those Sandisk card wont be cheap either.
Old February 4th, 2008, 07:29 PM   #8
Major Player

They are around 20% cheaper than the Sony's.
Old February 5th, 2008, 02:19 AM   #9
Major Player

Who's your dealer Paul?
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 08:29 AM   #10
Major Player

Hi Steve, I don't think I can mention them due to forum rules and them not being a sponsor, but lets just say I'll leave it as a 'puzzle' for you so solve :)
Old February 5th, 2008, 01:31 PM   #11
Major Player

I've tested 8 Gb Transcend (cost £40) and it does not work of course. I find this a bit of a cheat as far as Sony are concerned. They advertised the EX1 as using a cheap, non proprietry "off the shelf" flash card "available in the high street" I'm going to check this documentation carefully, as misrepresentation may well be at work here - it may be time for something legal ??

Paul
Old February 6th, 2008, 05:48 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Newman View Post
I've tested 8 Gb Transcend (cost £40) and it does not work of course. I find this a bit of a cheat as far as Sony are concerned. They advertised the EX1 as using a cheap, non proprietry "off the shelf" flash card "available in the high street"
I agree, but from what I've read the firmware "lock" was put on because of problems with generic cards.

I understand it to be a technical issue, even though the ExpressCard standard has a specific (fast) interface, some (cheaper?) manufacturers use slower memory in the cards. Data transfer rates may then be insufficient to capture the data.

George.
George Kroonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2008, 08:51 PM   #13
Regular Crew

its like a color printer. the toner is the biggest income for the manufacture
Old February 7th, 2008, 01:31 AM   #14
Regular Crew

"I understand it to be a technical issue, even though the ExpressCard standard has a specific (fast) interface, some (cheaper?) manufacturers use slower memory in the cards. Data transfer rates may then be insufficient to capture the data."

No doubt George. Agree. Actually from what i've studied about flash media, there is quite a difference in both speed, consistency, manufacturing quality between various media.

Speed is obviously very big. Consider how expensive cache memory is in a computer vs. regular memory - typically about 5X faster though

You can buy 2 GB of RAM for $50 bucks or spend $500 and typically you pay large amounts of money for small increments of reliability and speed

16 GB @ $850 - means $50/GB - twice the price of the cheapest RAM.
Still not bad. You have to account for any onboard electronics, cache and manufacturing QA costs.

The camera and media are aimed at different markets. That kind of money for media is nothing for people who shoot medium to high budget productions. Actually even small budget isn't bad. Just consider the few thousand you're spending on cards - the equivalent of spending some $'s on a new deck

Except this time you won't have to buy any tapes - ever.

Paul
Paul Dhadialla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2008, 02:03 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Not totally related, but thought I'd throw out there that I purchased an 8gb card from B&H for a nice savings and it was delivered in perfect condition with the original packaging. As though it were new. I'm not sure if there's any used media on B&H now, but I can vouch for it in terms of quality and it saved me 30-40% of the cost of the new one.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds