DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Strange White Balance Setting (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/114036-strange-white-balance-setting.html)

Benjamin Eckstein February 5th, 2008 12:12 PM

Strange White Balance Setting

So I am shooting today in a warehouse and did a manual white balance that read out as 3500K. Ok. I then went into my PP and set the white balance preset to 3500 manually. Guess what? Looks different. Quite a bit in fact. Both times my PP was on, just switching from Preset WB to my A which read out as both 3500.

Anybody seen that or know what is up.

Piotr Wozniacki February 5th, 2008 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Eckstein (Post 820709)
So I am shooting today in a warehouse and did a manual white balance that read out as 3500K. Ok. I then went into my PP and set the white balance preset to 3500 manually. Guess what? Looks different. Quite a bit in fact. Both times my PP was on, just switching from Preset WB to my A which read out as both 3500.

Anybody seen that or know what is up.

Saw it as well. Had 3200K assigned to both A Memory, B Memory and Preset; while switching between them the colour temp changed (but not the reading)...

Leonard Levy February 5th, 2008 12:30 PM

Is the general temperture color way off or perhaps the amount of green or magenta that may have changed it.

I would think that when you an auto white balance the color temp reading is based on how it evaluates what the white balnce circuit just accomplished. Its just a general indication for your benefit.

When you do a manual adjustment of the preset to 3500 then the camera is doing something quite different- its taking your preset and moving it what it considers to be a 300 degree change toward a warmer balance. I would not expect them to be the same or for them to be neccessarily accurate re the 3500 reading.

Lenny Levy

Benjamin Eckstein February 5th, 2008 12:53 PM

Good to know Lenny. Thanks. So is that common then? My past camera(s) did not tell me the WB temp when I did it off a white card so I would not have noticed.

Second question then: I am shooting for a company that I will be frequently returning to. Is there anyway to save this WB setting in a PP so when I come back I can recall it? Or, if I understand what you are saying, would setting a WB off a card and getting a 3500 setting in the future yield the same result as what I have now.

Leonard Levy February 5th, 2008 02:20 PM

I don't know but you could try it. If you need to match this footage that's a great idea.

Michael H. Stevens February 5th, 2008 04:34 PM

One of the things I love about this camera is that you can set white balance by eye. No need for warm cards or even a white board for a manual setting, and it's so quick to change on the fly. Just keep the WB selector to preset and change the preset with two flips of the joystick until the monitor give you what you want.