ND filter definitely malfunctioning - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 10th, 2008, 10:29 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Installing a lever and/or a grip of some kind on this silly, recessed slider is a must for me... But you're right: with temperature change (and with wear) the problem may vanish (or increase).

Just make sure if drilling you have a vacuum running so any dust gets sucked away and can not find its way into the camera.
Michael H. Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 12:20 PM   #17
Major Player

Drilling a switch! Man you have some guts, I still haven't recovered from cleaning my lens for the first time yesterday :) I always used a UV filter with my Canon and was quite harsh in it's treatment, but as I don't have one for the EX1 yet I've been putting off touching that front element.

Paul.

Last edited by Paul Joy; February 10th, 2008 at 12:52 PM.
Paul Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 01:24 PM   #18
Inner Circle

This is why I am not going to drill anything - just a nice (black or silver) knob glued to the slot in the switcher is the way to go, IMO.
Old February 10th, 2008, 01:31 PM   #19
Tourist

This has nothing to do with the topic it is attached to but simply a question as to how I get to the que that lets me post a question. I guess I am missing something that is probably obvious but apparently I am.
Fred Purdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 02:38 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
This is why I am not going to drill anything - just a nice (black or silver) knob glued to the slot in the switcher is the way to go, IMO.
I may glue too but there is not a lot of area to bond to and a small hole might just add some strength. Like the post for a tooth crown was what I was thinking.
Michael H. Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 09:17 PM   #21
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael H. Stevens View Post
Happens if I'm not aggressive and firm. Stupid thing, like the power switch needs a lever pointing out. .
I agree the the slide switches on the EX1 suck. They are not only hard to operate it is hard to tell their position. I did the following to the power, iris, macro, and focus slider switches to at least make their position more discernable. I put some "Liquid Paper", the white fluid used to correct typed or copied documents, in the vertical groove in the slider. At least one can then better see the position of the switch.

You could also use white paint. I just happened to have the Liquid Paper handy.

Carroll Lam
Carroll Lam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 09:29 PM   #22
Trustee

Maybe I'm wrong but I believe doing any kind of mod to the camera regardless its simplicity voids the warranty.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds