DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   "afternoon" - short clip, 2'10 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/114404-afternoon-short-clip-210-a.html)

Rainer Mann February 9th, 2008 04:50 PM

"afternoon" - short clip, 2'10

Hello
yesterday I was just playing around with the EX1 - and cut the stuff together to show my friends my first impressions with that wonderful cam!
Running time: 2'10
Shot on 720p (mixed framerates)
Compression H264 using mpegstreamclip
Bitrate 1200

http://www.mann-online.net/Film_-_HD.html

Regards from Germany
Rainer

Oleg Kalyan February 10th, 2008 04:33 AM

Great stuff, thanks for doing that, liked first shot with gireenery...
Than plenty of shots are overexposed, lots of lost detail in whites, have you shot it with factory settings, is there "setting" to prevent that, underexpose maybe two stops, use cinegamma, etc, otherwise

Rainer Mann February 10th, 2008 05:31 AM

Hello Oleg

thank you very much for your nice comment. It was shoot with the settings I learned from the dvd "Mastering the Sony PMW-EX1".
Well, the overexposed stuff: I really wanted to have it like that. Going to the extreme - i think it looks more interesting than having everything in perfect shape. The LCD on the EX1 is perfect and I knew stuff would be overexposed (I also used the histogramm to check what I am doing) - but I think it's not "wrong" exposed because for example the little coffemug was important for me - not the espressomachine. So I opened up the iris for the cup and not for the machine. I could have put on some light on the machine - it would have been a prefect exposure - but boring. I also liked very much the look of changing the iris very fast. Before I had the EX1 I needed to have a special plug-in for Final Cut to get that effect - now it's all made "by hand" in-camera. It really fells like shooting on film in the "old days" ;-)
You are asking for settings to prevent overexposing: No problem with the EX1: You can have 2 Zebras - I have Zebra 1 on 70% (to get right faces) and Zebra 2 on the factory setting (i think 100%?) to prevent overexposure (If i want ;-) and as I said, the LCD is very, very accurate and at least you also have the histogram. Tomorrow for example I will shoot an interview for a company. And I am sure I will not have any problems to get the perfect exposure with that cam (of course I won't try any "arty stuff" on that job ;-)

Oleg Kalyan February 10th, 2008 06:32 AM

Rainer,

thank you, so it was on purpose, I see, than it changes things..

It's just in the light of lengthy discussion on another thread, talking about highlights easily clipping, overexposed, I may be paranoid, and want to see for once perfectly exposed picture by EX1,
too many I've seen here have faulty expousure, maybe that stops me from buying the cam right away.

May I ask you from what camera did you upgrade to EX1, how do you like the cam so far,

Best regards, Oleg.

Rainer Mann February 10th, 2008 06:54 AM

Hello Oleg

as far as I know the level of clipping depends especially on the settings. For Gamma I use cine4 and there are a lot of other settings (Matrix, Color, Detail, etc.) which you can check out to build your own picture profile.
I studied at the Filmakademie Baden Wurttemberg years ago, so I am used to work with all kinds of professional cams (16mm, 35mm, Digibeta etc.)
I by myself owned a XM2 (GL2) and often took a DVX100. Both great cams for DV but it was just time to go "back" to more professional gear so I took the EX1 ecpecially after having seen the stuff of Philip Bloom and getting a lot of good reviews from friends of mine who are "in the business" more than I am right now. I loved the camera from the moment I had it in my hand. Was just a "good feeling" and the first stuff I shoot just blew me away!
Yes, it is hard to hold it in one hand and I will look for a good shoulder support. And also you can get the Rolling Shutter issues - but only if you are looking for or shooting like a crazy one with fast movements in tele... I never did that on professional jobs!
No, I really love that camera with all it's limitations - but I am sure I won't be limited in my professional jobs! Histogramm, 2 zebras, peaking to stay easily in focus without the need of having an extra monitor, manual optics and a superb picture quality!! The only thing which I really don't like is the too high price for the cards at the moment. But they will drop, sooner or later. And then - nothing will stop me ;-)