Waiting on NAB.... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 10th, 2008, 08:24 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Waiting on NAB....

Anyone else waiting on the decision to purchase the Ex1 until after the unfolding of the new cam's that should be coming to market at NAB this year....

The Ex1 looks like a keeper of a camera... just wondering what might show up at NAB...
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 08:31 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I am interested in what is around the corner, but waiting for a camera from a NAB announcement can be quite a wait.

The EX-1 was announced at NAB and the first models were in people's hans in November/December.

That is a long way away from April if you need a camera.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 09:43 PM   #3
New Boot

I'm not in a need as much as a *want* right now. So, I'll be waiting until NAB. So far though, the EX1 has my vote. I'm still interested in seeing what Scarlet is all about, as well as what Canon has to say.
Blake Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 10:36 PM   #4
Regular Crew

waiting......

Waiting as well. I'd like to see JVC come out with a 1/2" 3 CMOS answer to the
EX. Canon seems to move slowly so I doubt you'll see 1/2" chips in anything new. An XL-H2 would probably be priced over $10k. anyway.

I'm also waiting to see the Sony Z7 and 270 1/3" CMOS cams because tape is still a great way to archive, and these cams can also record to inexpensive cards. I'm not too concerned with DOF but I need good low-light performance.
John Markert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 03:27 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
Anyone else waiting on the decision to purchase the Ex1 until after the unfolding of the new cam's that should be coming to market at NAB this year....

The Ex1 looks like a keeper of a camera... just wondering what might show up at NAB...
Just adding my vote.

I'm waiting. I have no jobs right now that require me to own a camera.

Most of the stuff I have coming up is either hiring me as freelance to DP, operate or 1st AC where the camera package already hired by the producers, or grunt post production. I have one VFX project ongoing- again no camera needed.

If I get a job where I have to own an HD camera I'll buy the EX1 as it stands right now. If the time horizon is too short to buy I'll rent an HVX200. (sigh anyone wanna throw me some work?)

If I can use an SD camera on a shoot I'll either use my XL-1 (for sale right now- you just have to beat B&H's offer) or hire an XL-2 I can get at.

What am I expecting that makes me wait?

I'm not too optimistic that we'll get any cameras out of this years NAB that represent a better value than the EX1. There may be better cameras- but they'll cost more. I figure we'll see cameras announced with different trade offs right near the the Z7 and EX1 price points.

Also, I'd like to see what RED is gonna do with Scarlet. I'm sure it will set the industry on its ear again.
Old February 15th, 2008, 09:23 AM   #6
Major Player

Hi there,
Is it possible that Sony will announce/release a slightly updated EX1 model at NAB? I mean something that just fixes a few of the issues that people here on this forum have brought to light. Wouldn't require re-tooling the factory or anything... just correcting a few mistakes.
Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 09:27 AM   #7
Trustee

No way...

The EX1 has only been on the market for two and a half months.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 10:22 AM   #8
Major Player

Hi Malcolm,

As much as we whine here about minutia (myself included) that could be modified, this camera is on the far side of incredible. Having to do it again, I would have been first on the waiting list.
Randy Strome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 11:32 AM   #9
Inner Circle

I certainly think Sony will likely extend the EX series.

While I don't think they'll be an update to the EX1 hardware I do think they'll be a firmware update and I wouldn't be surprised if we see a more expensive version that might have some kind of interchangeable lens and/or shoulder mount.

I'm thinking of something that might replace or be in the F330 series price range.

Keep in mind that while it may be "announced" at NAB any such model probably wouldn't be available until late summer or fall 2008. Speculation but that timeline would make sense.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 02:04 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Pretty confidant there won't be much of even a hint of a newer/upgraded EX1. With the buzz this camera had, and has, Sony is gonna wanna sell a whole lot more of em before they elude to the next gen. They wouldn't wanna give you people waiting for the next an excuse to keep waiting! =)

- Ray
Old February 15th, 2008, 02:54 PM   #11
Trustee

you are looking at two NABs away before Sony will announce an EX1 replacement/ upgrade I should think. This camera is flying off the shelves!

Also be surprised if anyone else will bring out small 1/2" cameras, think Sony did it as an extension of their professional discs xdcam line.

There is a firmware update due in March I understand. Got loads of things I would love to see fixed.

JVC are really due an upgrade, 1080P should be top of their list.

Of course Panasonic surely must have something new to show?!
Old February 15th, 2008, 03:10 PM   #12
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom View Post
Of course Panasonic surely must have something new to show?!
Panasonic's NAB announcements have been posted here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...wpost&t=114838

Please submit any related replies directly to that thread. Thanks in advance,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 03:12 PM   #13
Trustee

just seems surprising no upgrade for the hvx...are they known for surprising people, Apple style ever?

not that I want them too. Now that I am an owner of 2 ex1s am rather committed to that format for a while
Old February 15th, 2008, 03:18 PM   #14
Regular Crew

lmao, rub it in Phil, rub it in!!!

- Ray
Old February 15th, 2008, 03:20 PM   #15
Trustee

did a shoot with two ex1s today side by side, with picture profiles from the genius that is Bill Ravens.

nice.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds