I tried Sony's wide angle lens adapter today at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 11th, 2008, 02:05 AM   #1
New Boot

I tried Sony's wide angle lens adapter today

I tried Sony's wide angle lens adapter today (VCL-EX0877) and was very pleased. I forgot to set the camera's menu setting for "wide conversion lens" to "on" but, I believe that setting only affects OIS. It was full zoom through without vignetting, and, there was no obvious chromatic abberation, or corner softening. The barrel distortion was a bit more than I expected for a .8 adapter, but not too bad all the same. It attached quickly and easily with its bayonet style mount and has a slip on plastic lens protector.(the lens shade from the camera of course does not fit on the larger front of this lens) It's actually quite slick and looks like it is built right onto the front of the camera! It does add a fair bit of weight as it's a big chunk of glass alright. I also noticed that the Schneider Optics line has been announced:

http://www.schneideroptics.com/century/dv/ex/ex.htm

Check out the price of the extreme fisheye!!
Craig Waddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 03:27 AM   #2
Major Player

You can see the adapter on the camera in this footage from the video forum in London.

http://video.news.sky.com/skynews/vi...urceID=1303834

If only that guy with the suit on would leave it alone that is..... (Sorry Mr Bloom) :)
Old February 11th, 2008, 03:52 AM   #3
Trustee

Craig,did you need to switch the macro function on ? I've got a redeye wide angle for my EX1 but it won't focus unless the macro is on,this is instructions from the redeye site.Also the redeye is nota full zoom through,only up to 25mm before loosing focus.
Also are you saying that with the sony lens there's no need for any sort of lens or mattebox,you get everything you need with the lens ?
Can you tell me where you tried it,and how much ?
Can you PM me if it's not a DVinfo sponsor.
Thanks,Paul.
Old February 11th, 2008, 11:56 AM   #4
Major Player

77mm thread

Hi Craig, I'm planning on purchasing the Sony WA you spoke about. Is it a 77mm rear thread on as in their spec sheet?
Do you think it's possible to slip a 77mm threaded filter in between the camera lens and the adapter?
Can you tell me what the front outer dia is in mm? Are there front threads as well?
Thanks,
Craig Hollenback
Craig Hollenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 12:09 PM   #5
Sponsor: Schneider Optics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Waddell View Post
I tried Sony's wide angle lens adapter today (VCL-EX0877) and was very pleased. I forgot to set the camera's menu setting for "wide conversion lens" to "on" but, I believe that setting only affects OIS. It was full zoom through without vignetting, and, there was no obvious chromatic abberation, or corner softening. The barrel distortion was a bit more than I expected for a .8 adapter, but not too bad all the same. It attached quickly and easily with its bayonet style mount and has a slip on plastic lens protector.(the lens shade from the camera of course does not fit on the larger front of this lens) It's actually quite slick and looks like it is built right onto the front of the camera! It does add a fair bit of weight as it's a big chunk of glass alright. I also noticed that the Schneider Optics line has been announced:

http://www.schneideroptics.com/century/dv/ex/ex.htm

Check out the price of the extreme fisheye!!
Craig,

It is good to hear some feedback about the Sony WA Adapter. I would encourage anyone else to tell me about thier experiences with the piece. So far I have noticed a lot of barrel distortion for a .8x on the Sony and it weighs a ton as well.

For the record: Our new converter is a .75x and can accept a filter and lens hood. The .6x is very light weight and the same as before goes for the filter and hood options. The Fisheye is unique and the tele has sharp performance across its useable zoom range.

Thanks for your thoughts on the Sony.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Ryan Avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 12:28 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Craig H - Sony's 0.8x is a bayonet fit and I'm pretty sure comes with its own 16:9 (barn doors lens-cap) hood, as on the V1 and Z1.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 12:39 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Hollenback View Post
Do you think it's possible to slip a 77mm threaded filter in between the camera lens and the adapter?
I don't think that would be a good idea. You're not supposed to put 'stuff' between a converter and the lens as far as I know.

The adapter is massive and you will definately need a matte box to mount filters in front of it. I'm not sure if 4x4's will do it either, but I ve only looked at it "in passing". It does come with a lens cap, no barn doors afaik.

George/
George Kroonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 03:33 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Bayonet Mount?

According to the B&H site, the Sony adapter is threaded, no mention of a bayonet mount, which is preferred. Have they got it wrong or are there two versions out there?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ide_Angle.html
Michael Rehfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 06:09 PM   #9
Major Player

Ordered today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rehfield View Post
According to the B&H site, the Sony adapter is threaded, no mention of a bayonet mount, which is preferred. Have they got it wrong or are there two versions out there?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ide_Angle.html
I ordered one today and it will arrive on Wednesday. I'll let your know how it works out . It fit my budget, so I'll have to live with the added weight.
Best, Craig
Craig Hollenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 06:23 PM   #10
Telecam Films

Can one of you lucky W/A owners post a pic of it mounted on the EX, I'd love to see how it fits. Thanks for the feedback!

Thierry.
Thierry Humeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 09:23 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Got the wide angle today

I just picked up the Sony WA today. It is a bayonet mount. It really looks like part of the lens. The outer diameter is exactly the same as the Fuji and the color is exactly the same. It is about 9cm long.

With the large battery in use the weight distribution from front to back is pretty even. I am thinking about using a skateboarding wrist guard for support when doing extended hand held work. Not really! but between the WA and the BP-U60 the EX1 is feels solid. I had to rebalance my jib with a couple extra pounds.

For my taste wish it went a bit wider. But I am shooting a lot of panoramic stuff next week and it will come in handy.

I am not in a position to post a photo at this moment.
Charles Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 02:47 AM   #12
Inner Circle

I just can't get over the fact that ok it looks pretty, is beautifully made, matches the 14x zoom in diameter, colour and surface texture, gives sharp zoom-through pictures but at the same time is

bulky, heavy, expensive and adds so little to the wide-angle coverage. Thank goodness the EX1 sees wide right out of the box, because wearing a 0.8x all day long is never a recommendation, and adding to the barrel distortion is generally a no-no.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 03:08 AM   #13
New Boot

Recorder/backup device

Moved to new topic

Last edited by Simon Cox; February 12th, 2008 at 03:17 AM. Reason: Moved to new topic
Simon Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 04:06 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Would be tickled pink if someone could post some vid or even just screen caps of shots taken with the wide on and with it off.

- Ray
Old February 12th, 2008, 06:52 PM   #15
Major Player

Raymond...

I will try to post some examples later this week as well as the same shot taken with a Canon 5d with a 24mm lens. I will also attempt to compare an ISO from the Canon to the EX1 in the test as well.
Best, Craig
Craig Hollenback is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds