1080p for SD delivery w/ EX1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 11th, 2008, 12:01 PM   #1
Major Player

1080p for SD delivery w/ EX1?

Is there any reason to shoot in 1080p with the EX1 if you're delivering in SD? I shoot now with a JVS HD100 which is 720p and it looks fine in SD. How different would the image look going from 1080p to SD instead of 720p to SD?
Old February 11th, 2008, 12:10 PM   #2
Tourist

I still deliver mostly in SD but I still shoot everything in 1080 30p. Mostly for one reason: because I can.

The best HD sets are 1080p and if the industry does indeed go that way then all my stuff is still good to go in full native resolution.

So I think the answer to your question is no. I don't think there's much of a difference between 720 and 1080 once downconverted. My understanding is that the math is a little easier since to downconvert 1080 to SD and fill the frame it's a straight 50% sizing but I don't think that's going to make that much of a discernible difference.

But can I tell the difference once it's encoded to a DVD and played on most TVs? No.
Andrew Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 12:17 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the response. Is the file size much larger and is the workflow affected at all by choosing 1080p over 720p?
Old February 11th, 2008, 12:31 PM   #4
Major Player

File size is the same. Shooting 1080 for SD (or for 720 HD) is also great in that you have so much extra room in the frame if you shoot a bit wide--create camera moves, crop in, use FCP smoothcam filter without scaling, etc.
Rob Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 12:39 PM   #5
Major Player

That never occurred to me. The only concern is down the road when you play it on a 1080p monitor and those zooms and crops lose resolution, no?
Old February 11th, 2008, 01:05 PM   #6
Major Player

Absolutely. If there's any chance you'll need the shots at 1080p, then that's out. A nice compromise is to shoot 1080 for a 720 frame. You can do some moves and still deliver HD. I like this best for timelapse shots to add camera moves. Here's a car race highlight I did showing that: http://robcollins.net/racein5.mp4

All the timelapse is EX1 at 1080 scaled into a 720 frame, allowing the moves. Most of the other shots were with HVX200's. You can spot them by all the noise!
Old February 11th, 2008, 02:16 PM   #7
Major Player

Rob. Thanks. I couldn't access your clip, but I did visit your site. I also interviewed Fred Buechener for a completely different project - about two months ago. Small world.
Old February 11th, 2008, 02:27 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Collins View Post
Absolutely. If there's any chance you'll need the shots at 1080p, then that's out. A nice compromise is to shoot 1080 for a 720 frame. You can do some moves and still deliver HD. I like this best for timelapse shots to add camera moves. Here's a car race highlight I did showing that: http://robcollins.net/racein5.mp4

All the timelapse is EX1 at 1080 scaled into a 720 frame, allowing the moves. Most of the other shots were with HVX200's. You can spot them by all the noise!
Rob, the race clip is fantastic - if I may suggest anything is bring the car engines noise up a bit, the music is dominating it.
Old February 11th, 2008, 04:15 PM   #9
Major Player

Bill: try this link (not HD but OK): http://robcollins.net/racein5/racein5.mov What did you interview Fred for? Feel free to email me since it's a bit off topic!

Piotr: Thanks! It was rather hastily thrown together to give the client some eye candy. I didn't work on the sound at all--your comment is quite right. The actual project is company videos for the car's sponsor.
Old February 11th, 2008, 07:56 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Collins View Post
Most of the other shots were with HVX200's. You can spot them by all the noise!
Ouch!

Good looking video.

I can't wait for another racing season.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds