Stand Up Paddle Surfing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 11th, 2008, 01:51 PM   #1
Major Player

Stand Up Paddle Surfing

http://www.vimeo.com/682038

Looks like vimeo reduced to 15 fps or so, so may be worth downloading the WMV file.

Randy

Last edited by Randy Strome; February 11th, 2008 at 05:27 PM.
Randy Strome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 06:32 PM   #2
Major Player

very nice looking footage! did you color grade or do any post on this?

sami
Sami Sanpakkila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 08:02 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Sami,

Thanks for that. I shot this in an attempt to familiarize myself with how the PP's look with the content that I will shoot (mostly water sports). I used Bill Raven's settings (thanks Bill) based on Cine 1, and 3, as well as the stock Cine 2 setting.

This was all shot a 720P 30 overcranked to 60 (which looks a bit slow for the content to me, but I'm learning...slowly). The shutter was always set to on, and I tested at 60 and 120. ND1, F8'ish, white Balanced on a warm card. The zoom was maxed out (I will order one of the Schneider 1.6X TC's when available). Zebra was set at 100 and I exposed so as that only the most explosive whitewater was showing tiny and very limited zebra specs. The Histogram looked good.

For post, I boosted the saturation a tiny bit and did a quick mid range levels adjust. The out of camera footage was a bit muddy, with Bills Cine 1 PP looking the best.

I am very open to any suggestions which could help me along either photographically, or in post. Also any export for Vimeo tips would be appreciated.

Thanks for your comments.
Old February 11th, 2008, 08:11 PM   #4
Major Player

Hi Randy.

I added your clip to the ex1 footage channel on vimeo. Regarding exporting, I generally export for vimeo at 1280x720/25p using h264 at 5000kbps.

That beach looks lovely, I could do with being on a beach like that for a week or two!

Paul.
Old February 11th, 2008, 08:29 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Joy View Post
Hi Randy.

I added your clip to the ex1 footage channel on vimeo.
Thanks for doing that Paul.

Are you noticing the strobing effect on your Vimeo clips as well? It is not present on the downloadable WMV file that they provide, so I am wondering if i somehow blew it during export. My reduced file looks like it is playing at 15 FPS to me.

Best,
Randy
Old February 12th, 2008, 03:42 AM   #6
Major Player

I think it's more a limitation of the flash player than the way the file is encoded. Try running it full screen on vimeo, when you do that the res isn't great but it uses hardware instead of software to render the video.

regards

Paul.
Old February 28th, 2008, 03:34 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Randy...

I noticed that the CMOS rolling shutter effect made the surfer lean so much that he fell off the board! :-)

Seriously, that's some nice stuff. Too bad we can't swap lenses on that camera and get more reach.

Also, there's nothing like a bright sun late in the day to give the whitewater some badly needed detail.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds