DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Sound problems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/114733-sound-problems.html)

Greg Hawkes February 13th, 2008 01:43 PM

Sound problems

Have just received my first EX1 and was filmlng a clip for a website introduction.

A piece to camera.

The sound coming out of the headphone socket of my Sound Devices Mix Pre seemed OK.

Reviewing clips later using the on camera speaker I could hear the presenter taking deep breaths. I was rather hoping that the tiny speaker was exaggerating this but on ingesting the clips later to Vegas 8 only confirmed that the sound was awful.

The sound level (manually set) at the camera was peaking around -20dBu. Using a Sony wireless radio mic
UTX B1 / ECM 77BC mounted around chest level!. Mic sensitivity was set to -41dBU (the default).
Could this be too high.

I have provided a link to the un-edited clip (Flash FLV)

http://www.professionalvideo.tv/#/test1/4527246688

Any help greatly appreciated.

Jim Boda February 13th, 2008 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Hawkes (Post 825740)
...The sound level (manually set) at the camera was peaking around -20dBu. Using a Sony wireless radio mic
UTX B1 / ECM 77BC mounted around chest level!. Mic sensitivity was set to -41dBU (the default).
Could this be too high.

You need to dial the signal in throughout the entire signal path.

Start by adjusting the transmitter...then receiver...then make sure your signal path line out to camera is at the correct +4 line level.

Not sure about the Sony, but Lectro has a peaking meter that allow you to visually see and attenuate to the appropriate level.

It's always a good idea to check the manual for recommendations for the starting point for your settings. It definitely sounds like the default settings are not good...unless the boost is coming from the mixer to cam feed.

Greg Hawkes February 13th, 2008 04:34 PM

EX1 sound problems

Thanks for your helpful reply Jim.

I think I have realised what I have done wrong from your answer.

I stupedly connected the output of the mic. mixer which of course is at line level? to the camera mic input at -41dBu mic. level. Am I right?

Bob Grant February 13th, 2008 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Hawkes (Post 825855)

I stupedly connected the output of the mic. mixer which of course is at line level? to the camera mic input at -41dBu mic. level. Am I right?

That'd do it.
There's no hard and fast rules there though. I've had mixer outputs that are at anything from 0dBm to -50dBm. If it's you're own mixer it should be setup to send line level and the camera setup accordingly, if it's a house mixer it will be setup to whatever they want to get the right level in the auditorium.

Jim Boda February 13th, 2008 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Hawkes (Post 825855)

Yea, the SD MixPre only sends out a +4 line level. I'm sure you had to dial it down at the camera to match levels.

On your video example, I probably would setup the tone at -12 and turn on the limiter to get good audio from someone who is more soft spoken.

It's always a good idea to send a return signal back to the mixer to so you can monitor on a quality set of headphones. I'm not sure if you are using the standard betacam breakaway cable that has a return send.

Well, that's a tough lesson to learn...but, I bet you don't make that mistake again.

Greg Hawkes February 14th, 2008 02:42 AM

Thanks again to Bob and Jim.

Jim when you say the -12 I presume you mean set the line level input on the EX1 to read -12 from the 1kz tone from the mix pre?

And yes I should have listened to the tape return on the mix pre frim the EX1 headphone socket.

Greg Hawkes February 14th, 2008 02:44 AM

Jim. One furthe question .

When you say the limiter. Do you mean on th mix pre as the stanard default is limiter on . Are you saying I should change the standard setting?

Jim Boda February 14th, 2008 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Hawkes (Post 826102)
Jim. One furthe question .

When you say the limiter. Do you mean on th mix pre as the stanard default is limiter on . Are you saying I should change the standard setting?

You can dial in the limiter on the MixPre to respond anywhere from +6 to +18. If you are using -20 as your reference...then you should open up the limiter to about +16. If you are using -12 as a reference ...then you should dial it down to about +8.

Jim Boda February 14th, 2008 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Hawkes (Post 826100)
Jim when you say the -12 I presume you mean set the line level input on the EX1 to read -12 from the 1kz tone from the mix pre?..

Yes. When you are recording something dramatic that needs more dynamic range...then you should set your reference at -20 tone to camera.

But, for the sit down interview stuff...I prefer to set up the camera to receive the hotter -12 reference level to get a better signal to noise ratio...especially when using a mixer that has quality limiters.

The final product normally gets broadcast in the -16 ish average range.