Lens info - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 16th, 2008, 12:03 AM   #16
New Boot

Was auto iris on, and are high contrast scenes being shot (where at least part of the scene would be "properly" exposed at or near wide open iris/F1.9)? If the lens is zoomed in enough for shallow DoF, the DoF indicator will vary if auto iris is activated and the camera senses light variations large enough to make it decide to change the iris.

The auto iris probably can hunt a bit when adjusting, especially if there are objects moving in front of the lens that are triggering the auto iris to act (or the camera is moving enough to make the camera rethink exposure). I don't use auto iris much, but I was able to make the DoF indicator "dance" with full manual focus engaged (indicator would widen/shrink/appear to shift left or right a bit rapidly) using very high contrast view zoomed in around 18mm, while moving the camera slightly when a bright/dark border was near the center of the view. Auto iris was trying to guess what the heck I was doing and couldn't make up it's mind, and the DoF Indicator was understandably varying with the iris changes. Made the indicator look like it had drank too much caffeine until I stopped playing slightly wobbly hand-held and straightened out (auto iris settled out).
Mark Britton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2008, 03:02 AM   #17
Inner Circle

You elaborated one of the possibilities I mentioned earlier, Mark.

Welcome to the forum!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds