HD to SD conversion - loss of quality! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 14th, 2008, 12:44 PM   #1
Major Player

HD to SD conversion - loss of quality!

I know that this has been discussed somewhere else but would like to dedicate a thread for this rather worrying problem.

I'm shooting with the EX1 with the 1080 50i format. The picture, needless to say is incredible (when seen via component out from camera directly to a LCD panel). However when I downconvert via pc to a SD DVD, the loss of quality is severe - the final SD DVD is worse than the DVD's produced from footage shot on a 4:3 SD Sony DSR-300.

I'm at the moment using PPro CS3 bundled with Matrox Axio LE which has been lent to me. I'm also interested in FCP with an octa-core Mac. I had been given a worflow to try and avoid this loss of quality but it's not enough. I want to produce same quality SD DVD's like I used to produce.

Am I asking too much? I remember when I had switched on to DVCAM 10 years ago, the edited material downconverted to VHS was much better than when I used to shoot directly with S-VHS cameras. It seems that this does not hold for the HD - SD conversion.

What is everyone doing? Are you losing quality? Have you found out a solution? The problem, in my opinion is so great, that I'm tempted to switch again to shooting with the DSR-300. I cannot give my clients such SD work. Can anyone help me out of this dilemma pls?
Brian Cassar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2008, 01:03 PM   #2
Major Player

Brian, please upload a few seconds of your native HD footage. I will downconvert it to SD-DVD with Sony Vegas and mail it back to you as soon as possible.
Old February 14th, 2008, 01:10 PM   #3
Major Player

are you ingesting the video 1 to 1 or 2 to 1 or hopefully not DV 25. Also are you editing it in its raw HD form or editing it in SD?? I've always been told shoot HD edit HD then convert to SD.
John M. McCloskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2008, 01:14 PM   #4
Regular Crew

The only good way to do it i've found is to convert through SDI.. It looks better when converting with just adding HD material in the SD timeline but the movement is choppy and flickery.
Old February 14th, 2008, 01:34 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Mann View Post
Brian, please upload a few seconds of your native HD footage. I will downconvert it to SD-DVD with Sony Vegas and mail it back to you as soon as possible.
I second Michael - shoot HD, edit HD, keep yo HD master; render out to SD when needed. At least from Vegas, the SD otput quality leaves nothing to complain about.
Old February 14th, 2008, 01:47 PM   #6
Major Player

John I did not quite understand "are you ingesting the video 1 to 1 or 2 to 1 or hopefully not DV 25". I'm doing the following:

opening a project as: Matrox HD MPEG2 I Frame 50i

editing HD material (1080 50i)

then exporting finished edit as movie (having the following settings: PAL Matrox MPEG2 I Frame / Aspect Ratio set to 1.422 (so that 4:3 is changed to 16:9)

This will quickly render a widescreenPAL version from the HD timeline

Then I open a Matrox SD widescreen PAL project and import this movie and put it in a new sequence.

This sequence is then exported to Encore with SD DVD settings .

The end result is still producing a soft looking DVD - as if i did not focus well!

By the way, I need to do the same project both in HD and in SD - that is why I'm editing on a HD timeline and then exporting to SD.

Oyvind when you say "convert thru SDI" - do you mean convert footage to SD from SDI output? But then you will not be able to output to HD as well is it?

Michael will try to e-mail you a few secs.
Brian Cassar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2008, 03:33 PM   #7
Major Player

Alright, mail to:
mann.michael@online.de

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds