DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Getting Edited Material Back On SxS? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/114858-getting-edited-material-back-sxs.html)

Tyler Franco February 14th, 2008 06:16 PM

Getting Edited Material Back On SxS?

This is my first post here at DVi, although I've been a reader for quite a while. I've got an immediate question. :)

I've noticed that the EX1 does an extremely nice job at down-converting HD material via component to SD. I'd like to be able to make SD dubs of my programs using this method. Is there any way to get an edited Final Cut Pro sequence BACK on the SxS card allowing the camera to play it like a deck for SD downconversion to DVCAM or Digibeta?

If not, what equipment would I need to look at obtaining to make this happen? A PowerMac with a Kona or Blackmajik card? I'm currently editing on a iMac Dual Core Duo 2.16 ghZ.

Thanks for any help!

Alexander Ibrahim February 14th, 2008 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyler Franco (Post 826527)
This is my first post here at DVi, although I've been a reader for quite a while. I've got an immediate question. :)

I've noticed that the EX1 does an extremely nice job at down-converting HD material via component to SD. I'd like to be able to make SD dubs of my programs using this method. Is there any way to get an edited Final Cut Pro sequence BACK on the SxS card allowing the camera to play it like a deck for SD downconversion to DVCAM or Digibeta?

If not, what equipment would I need to look at obtaining to make this happen? A PowerMac with a Kona or Blackmajik card? I'm currently editing on a iMac Dual Core Duo 2.16 ghZ.

Thanks for any help!

So far as I know there isn't an intended workflow.

I bet you could cobble up something by exporting in the right format and then copying the file to SxS. I don't know if that would work.

Rob Collins February 14th, 2008 10:03 PM

I'm eager for this to be possible--in my case, more for using the camera's HD-SDI output to HD deck. But it doesn't appear to be possible yet. Sony states somewhere that this version of XDCAM Transfer does not support exporting back to SxS--which gives me hope that it's in the works!

Andrew Wilson February 15th, 2008 09:57 AM

Try doing an export with the batteries in backwards.

Seriously though... You could export a file and write it to the card easily enough but the BPAV folder has a lot of files in it that are associated with the actual media file and there's no way (that I know of) to rewrap a media file back to the MXF from a mov file.

It looks like your primary goal is to have a good analog SD component out. The intensity pro card would do this nicely. Probably even better than the cameras SD output. If you want to be able to do it remotely, it's going to cost you a MBP and and AJAIO box.

(or you could just point the camera at your monitor and then use the SDI output from that recording) Okay, I'm done making stupid jokes.

Joel Brooks February 15th, 2008 11:31 AM

Outputing to SxS

I know you CAN output back to the card as long as you are in the HDV mode via firewire.

Joel

Tyler Franco February 15th, 2008 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Wilson (Post 826821)
Try doing an export with the batteries in backwards.

No dice. Setting the camera upside down didn't work either. Then I went the the massive amount of work moving it to the other side of my desk. Still nothing.

I did indeed try messing around with files. Exporting... editing all those goofy XML files. Blah, blah, blah. Couldn't get anything to work.

I'll have to look into Joel's idea. It would be a suffering in quality (and time) to have to convert to an HDV sequence at the end of the edit. It may be something I'll have to do though just until I can purchase a new Pro Mac and the Intensity card (which will hopefully support 1080p monitoring by that time).

Thanks everyone!