Vegas Pro 8 Workflow - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 23rd, 2008, 08:08 PM   #106
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Joseph View Post
I did just that and the sound came out perfectly but no video. I want to basicaly downconvert it to a lower resolution HD to send in a file for a friend of mine.
When do you wish to down-convert? After the editing and on the final render? If so then DON'T USE CineForm as it is HD. If you down convert then it's not HD any more so you need render to Windows avi with one of the standard settings such as NTSC DV

As a side note. One of the reasons I use the stand alone CineForm codec and not ClipBrowser is that often (and the reasons aren't yet clear) the mxf files after ClipBrowser/SxS processing seem to become corrupt in a way that CineForm does not like and you get a "Vegas Stopped Working". There is never a problem feeding the mpg4 files direct to the CineForm codec as long as it gets them fresh and virginal from the SxS card.
Michael H. Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 08:31 PM   #107
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael H. Stevens View Post
When do you wish to down-convert? After the editing and on the final render? If so then DON'T USE CineForm as it is HD. If you down convert then it's not HD any more so you need render to Windows avi with one of the standard settings such as NTSC DV

As a side note. One of the reasons I use the stand alone CineForm codec and not ClipBrowser is that often (and the reasons aren't yet clear) the mxf files after ClipBrowser/SxS processing seem to become corrupt in a way that CineForm does not like and you get a "Vegas Stopped Working". There is never a problem feeding the mpg4 files direct to the CineForm codec as long as it gets them fresh and virginal from the SxS card.
So basically it;s better to bypass the whole clipbrowser ordeal and dump it directly into vegas? if so, would i just import it normally as I would from the hard drive or is there some kind of method to capture it from the camera? By the way I upload it from the camera and not from the reader if that makes a difference.
Dennis Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 08:52 PM   #108
Major Player

Quote:
So basically it;s better to bypass the whole clipbrowser ordeal and dump it directly into vegas? if so, would i just import it normally as I would from the hard drive or is there some kind of method to capture it from the camera? By the way I upload it from the camera and not from the reader if that makes a difference.
Yes, but you have to buy the CineForm stand alone codec which ain't cheap. The CineForm software will capture from your camera, convert to avi and dump directly into your project or hard drive.
Michael H. Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 08:59 PM   #109
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael H. Stevens View Post
Yes, but you have to buy the CineForm stand alone codec which ain't cheap. The CineForm software will capture from your camera, convert to avi and dump directly into your project or hard drive.
Lets just say that I did not have sony vegas and all I wanted to do was view my footage on my pc and send it to other people over the net with a smaller size hd form. Is that not possible?
Old March 24th, 2008, 09:23 AM   #110
Major Player

Quote:
I'm trying to save my project or clips in vegas to .avi or windows video. I tried "Render as..." and tried to save it in dofferent formats and it either saves blank or it saves it very choppy. Any way to convert these .mxf files to avi?

Again, i'm new to the editing department so your advice is appreciated.

-Dennis
Hi Dennis,

This should be working for you with .mxf files and no workarounds whatsoever. You can definitely go direct from your timeline to .avi or .wmv with no pre-render or pre-avi conversion.

Please give a quick description of what you are doing, and we will try to troubleshoot for you.
Randy Strome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2008, 09:55 AM   #111
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Strome View Post
Hi Dennis,

This should be working for you with .mxf files and no workarounds whatsoever. You can definitely go direct from your timeline to .avi or .wmv with no pre-render or pre-avi conversion.

Please give a quick description of what you are doing, and we will try to troubleshoot for you.
I'm actually at my office right now so I don;t have Vegas open in front of me but I will try to describe the situation the best I can. After I transfer files from explorer to project media, I am trying to save a selected clip from the timeline to a lower resolution HD quality clip to send over the web. I'm also trying to put some clips on Vimeo as everyone here has been utilizing that website pretty good to stream their videos. What do you suggest?

Thanks,

-Dennis
Old March 24th, 2008, 10:11 AM   #112
Major Player

Quote:
I'm actually at my office right now so I don;t have Vegas open in front of me but I will try to describe the situation the best I can. After I transfer files from explorer to project media, I am trying to save a selected clip from the timeline to a lower resolution HD quality clip to send over the web. I'm also trying to put some clips on Vimeo as everyone here has been utilizing that website pretty good to stream their videos. What do you suggest?
-Dennis
So to clarfify, you have previously used Sony's clip browser to "export" the file as an .mxf, then opened Vegas pro 8 and brought the file through explorer to project media and dragged it onto your timeline. Then you set the loop region to your clip, and follow these instructions:

http://eugenia.gnomefiles.org/2007/1...-for-vimeo-hd/
Old March 24th, 2008, 10:41 AM   #113
Major Player

Quote:
So to clarfify, you have previously used Sony's clip browser to "export" the file as an .mxf, then opened Vegas pro 8 and brought the file through explorer to project media and dragged it onto your timeline. Then you set the loop region to your clip, and follow these instructions:

http://eugenia.gnomefiles.org/2007/1...-for-vimeo-hd/

That is correct. I have done all that and when trying to render it either says there is an error and then I go back and change a few settings and then it will render a real choppy video (the video that gets saved actually looks like its being rendered) , or I get good sound and no video. I believe I have matched teh project properties as well. when shooting in 1080240 I click on "108024p YUV" template and match it up as best I can. That's why i'm confused as to why it is still not working. Is there somethign I am missing?

Also, what if I did not have sony vegas, would there be any way to turn the native files into .wmv? By the way that article on transfering files from HD to vimeo was very helpful but the following picture was too small for me to see> http://eugenia.gnomefiles.org/images/sonyavc.png
Old March 24th, 2008, 10:55 AM   #114
Major Player

What project settings are you using for Vegas? This is Vegas Pro 8, correct? What does the error message say?
Old March 24th, 2008, 11:02 AM   #115
Major Player

Quote:
What project settings are you using for Vegas? This is Vegas Pro 8, correct? What does the error message say?
Yes Vegas Pro 8. It was an error messege during rendering. I forgot exactly what it said. I'll try again later tonight and let you know.

Also the other major issue I am having is playing back the actual clips in Vegas. I can drag them on the time line or right click while they are in explorer or project media and after 10-15 seconds of the clip playing it starts to get choppy. I have brought it down from 32 bit to 8bit which kind of helped. I know it can't be my system because others are running it smoothe with similar or lower specs.
Old March 24th, 2008, 04:59 PM   #116
Major Player

Quote:
Yes Vegas Pro 8. It was an error messege during rendering. I forgot exactly what it said. I'll try again later tonight and let you know.

Also the other major issue I am having is playing back the actual clips in Vegas. I can drag them on the time line or right click while they are in explorer or project media and after 10-15 seconds of the clip playing it starts to get choppy. I have brought it down from 32 bit to 8bit which kind of helped. I know it can't be my system because others are running it smoothe with similar or lower specs.
Yes, let us know the project settings and the exact error message. So far, there is nothing that you have said that should, under normal circumstances keep the file from rendering to an .avi or .wmv.

The Vegas playback is different than what I am experiencing as well. 8 bit with no transitions or effects always plays smoothly for me. 8 bit with simple transitions or basic effects also plays smoothly. 32 bit or multiple effects is choppy, but workably so.
Old March 25th, 2008, 07:32 AM   #117
Major Player

Quote:
Yes, let us know the project settings and the exact error message. So far, there is nothing that you have said that should, under normal circumstances keep the file from rendering to an .avi or .wmv.

The Vegas playback is different than what I am experiencing as well. 8 bit with no transitions or effects always plays smoothly for me. 8 bit with simple transitions or basic effects also plays smoothly. 32 bit or multiple effects is choppy, but workably so.
Randy, you are the man! I figured it out and rendered it perfectly from HD to DVD quality. The audio has some static/choppyness to it but I have to figure out the settings to that.

Other than that, thanks for the tip!

-Dennis
Dennis Joseph is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds