EX1 SQ files and VLC player at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 17th, 2008, 05:23 AM   #1
Trustee

EX1 SQ files and VLC player

OK,sxs card into reader,rewrap to mxf whilst transfering to portable hard-drive,open vlc player,no video,only audio.This only happens with 1080/50i SQ. HQ is ok.
So after being out on a shoot and rewrapping,how can i check that the transfer and rewrap has gone ok before deleting from card ?
Other than that,transfer the whole BAPV,using windows,which goes about 6x so is faster anyway,which is fine for me because i can rewrap at home and vegas see's the SQ MXF ok.
But what happens if i want to rewrap then give client the MXF,on the shoot,ready for their editing program ? They have to have HQ just so i can check it's all ok ?
Is it vlc player settings ?
Paul.
Old February 17th, 2008, 05:42 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Yes, VLC is tricky because when playing MP4 it has no audio, and with some MXF formats - it doesn't play video.

However, all mxf's CAN play perfectly in WMP. There is something I don't understand about it, though: while they do on my main XP workstation, they won't on my Vista laptop... Considering the XP installation has been up for over a year now, I guess I have some additional codex installed which are missing on my relatively new laptop. But which are the codex that WMP 11 needs to play mxf - I don't know!

Anybody?
Old February 17th, 2008, 09:52 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
I guess I have some additional codex installed which are missing on my relatively new laptop. But which are the codex that WMP 11 needs to play mxf - I don't know!
You can try dropping the files on GSpot, a codec information utillity cou can download here. It will show information about the codecs on your system and those required by the file.

You could use a codec pack (K-Lite for example) to add just about any codec to your system. Be advised though that this could also bring in codec conficts (which you may troubleshoot with GSpot). Best advise is to only load the codecs you really need on production machines.

George/
George Kroonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2008, 04:41 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Thanks George, but the only thing the utility has confirmed is that the MPEG-2 codec is used by the mxf's, and that it is installed on my main XP system (which is a matter of course).

On my Vista laptop, WPM can play MPEG-2 files, but not MXF's!
Old February 17th, 2008, 08:15 PM   #5
New Boot

EX1 SQ files and VLC player

I'm using Desktop running Windows Vista Premium and can not play mxf's on WMP ver11.
I find however that windows madia center seems to give the best results(visually) when playing more common file types.but not crazy about it's interface
Mike Ward is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds