Any downfalls in getting an EX1 from the US for a Euro user? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 17th, 2008, 03:40 PM   #1
Trustee

Any downfalls in getting an EX1 from the US for a Euro user?

With the weak Dollar it seems much cheaper to get the camera from the US. As it's HD and there seems to be only one version of the camera for the whole world, are there any downfalls in getting an EX1 from the US for a Euro user? Thanks.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2008, 04:24 PM   #2
Regular Crew

It would make a lot of sense if it was actually possible! Apparently, because of the Cinealta badge on the camera, dealers are restricted from shipping to Europe.

Try for yourself on B&H, add the camera to your cart and try see how far it lets you go before giving you the bad news.
Keith Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2008, 04:57 PM   #3
Trustee

So the European version has no CineAlta badge? I wasn't aware it was limited to the US market. But there must be some other US dealer that would ship it to Europe.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2008, 05:08 PM   #4
Inner Circle

All EX1 is CineAlta. US dealers are NOT permitted to sell EX1 to Europe though. That's a SONY RULE.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2008, 05:11 PM   #5
Major Player

There are some Euro retailers that source outside the EU and have competitive pricing compared to the US$ (EUR 4600 ~ US$ 6750). A.f.a.i.k these are sourced from Asia or the US.

You can buy additional warranty (for ~EUR 100), but these have restrictions and you can expect problems with Sony warranty claims/process when 'owner(ship)' and 'region' do not match when service under warranty is needed.

I believe, but have not checked, that Sony has international warranty and service plans available as these camera's travel on shoots across the globe, but usually their require warranty registration with matching owner address and (camera)region.

I must say it is tempting as there is about a EUR 2000 (almost $3000!) gap between pricing between the US and EU, but the EX1 is still a new camera with a potential for more problems that fall under warranty.

In the end it is up to you... You can always claim you bought it while working on a project over there.

George/

P.S. Make sure that if you buy your camera over here, it is from a official Sony dealer. If they aren't make sure you get what you pay for, and get it in writing, especially with regards to warranty service.

P.P.S. Also you will miss out on send-in rebates, like the 2nd 8GB card. But I've seen EU kits with 2x 8GB, 2x BP-U60 and the USB cardreader (SBAC-US10), a raincover, camerabag and a shotgun mike for EUR 6350. And you get 2 years of warranty as standard to boot. That's not so bad, right?

Last edited by George Kroonder; February 18th, 2008 at 03:42 AM. Reason: Added the 2nd P.S.
George Kroonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2008, 05:21 PM   #6
Major Player

Be careful when importing yourself.

I am located in germany , and imported other video stuff short time ago - UPS declares the duty (customs) anyway and youŽll have to pay

- VAT
- Customs (Duane) tax
- transport

That easily sums up to 20 or 30% of the "cheap" US price.

This and given the fact that your dealer is 1000s of km away in the case of warranty repair, it will be cheaper or at least the "same price" to buy it here and join the fantastic silver support by sony.

Just remember: In case of a warranty fault you can go to your dealer and ask for a loaner unit - what will you do if your dealer is in new zealand?!?

My 2c.

ULI
Uli Mors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2008, 05:30 PM   #7
Major Player

To avoid VAT and to have 100% warranty, the guys I know who are doing this are getting a cheap flight to NY and buying from B&H. That way, by you buying directly in US you have the world wide warranty and when you go home you say it is your personal vacation camera and no tax.
Michael H. Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2008, 05:48 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael H. Stevens View Post
To avoid VAT and to have 100% warranty, the guys I know who are doing this are getting a cheap flight to NY and buying from B&H. That way, by you buying directly in US you have the world wide warranty and when you go home you say it is your personal vacation camera and no tax.
That can (should?) get you in trouble. Basically you are smuggling the camera in. You should pay duties on it when appropriate. You don't have to pay VAT-type taxes if it is for business use. The same goes for FexEd/UPS/etc.

You will still get warranty problems because you cannot register with Sony US when you're located outside their territory.

George/

P.S. You can check the duties with your local customs office; they are the same throughout the EU. The easiest way is to call them; customs is pretty complicated.
George Kroonder is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds