DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Transfer files to Data DVD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/115208-transfer-files-data-dvd.html)

Craig Hollenback February 19th, 2008 11:46 AM

Transfer files to Data DVD

I have injested my files via the express card slot onto the internal 7200 rpm hard drive of my Dell Vostro 1500 (windows XP). I then copied the entire BPAV folder to an external LaCie Hard Drive and opened them up in Final cut on my Mac. No problem so far.
My question is: How do you break up the BPAV folder that is too large to fit onto either a single layer or dual layer DVD and keep all the important data intact for archieval purposes?
Thanks, Craig

Rob Collins February 19th, 2008 01:03 PM

Clip Browser app. lets you split the BPAV folder.

Paul Kellett February 19th, 2008 01:19 PM

I import the mxf files,then just copy them to dvd with nero.

Mark Huang February 19th, 2008 01:25 PM

Craig:

How long does it take for you to complete the copying of a 8GB SxS to a computer?

Thanks

Mark

Paul Kellett February 19th, 2008 01:36 PM

Mark,question directed at craig i know,but i can answer that.
Transfer 8gb card to pc,with card reader going through clip browser and rewrapping is around 4x speed,so with HQ footage,28 mins takes around 6-7 mins,going to external hard-drive at same time takes same time,all with usb.
Transfering the whole BAPV is a bit quicker i reckon,but then when you get home to your editing pc you have to then do the rewrap,so the complete workflow takes longer.
So,,,if you're on a shoot and in a hurry then don't bother to rewrap footage,if you've got time then do rewrap cos it'll save time in the long run.

Note..SQ footage rewrapped doesn't play in VLC player,i only get the audio,so you can't check it when you're on a shoot,before deleting the card,HQ will play.
I just had a whole weekend,8hrs of footage collected,and i learnt a lot about workflow when working alone,in a rush,under pressure.
Paul.

Mark Huang February 19th, 2008 01:52 PM

Thanks Paul. The info is very helpful. Really, SONY should come out something like the Panasonic P2 Store Drive so offloading the content will be a lot easier out in the field without having to have a computer.

Mark

Craig Hollenback February 19th, 2008 04:05 PM

[QUOTE=Mark Huang;829038]Craig:

How long does it take for you to complete the copying of a 8GB SxS to a computer?]
8GB went via the express card slot in under 5 minutes if I recall correctly.
I have also realized, that a less expensive and faster method of back-up of the card data is to simply store the footage on a low cost external Hard Drive.
We just found one that is 500GB USB2 for $99.00 from NewEgg.
So that is what we intend to do, then backup to blueRay in bulk.
One 16 and on 8 is 24 and will neatly fit on a 25 GB blueray.
Best, Craig

Mark Huang February 19th, 2008 04:18 PM

Hi Craig:

I haven't actually do a transfer yet. I just ordered a XDCAM-EX1 from B&H today. I just want to set my expectation now so once I am out in the field I won't be surprised.

Thanks

Mark