HP UMPC 2133 - possible field offload solution at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 19th, 2008, 04:21 PM   #1
Major Player

HP UMPC 2133 - possible field offload solution

here's the link:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/19/h...2133-revealed/

Basically a 2.5lb ultra portable, 8.9" 1366x766 display with an expresscard slot. I haven't seen many small laptops like this with expresscard, especially not cheap ones - no official word on price yet, but I saw a quote somewhere else (from HP) along the lines of 'it'll be so cheap you won't even have to consider the purchase".
Old February 19th, 2008, 05:41 PM   #2
Regular Crew

From HP to Apple

Will it be possible to work with this kind of computer on the field and then to transfer to a Mac at home ?
Bruno Demeocq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2008, 08:45 PM   #3
Major Player

I would hope so, as that would be my workflow if I used this. I don't see any reason you couldn't just do a simple file transfer from the cards to the hard drive, then copy that to your mac and use the sony transfer app there to convert from the source files.

This would also probably be the only workflow if you went with linux (listed as an option there) instead of windows, since I don't think sony has software for linux. I assume with a machine like this linux would be a much better choice anyway just in terms of resources (smaller install, less overhead) and you could probably use VLC to preview raw files in linux.
Old February 19th, 2008, 10:33 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I was looking at this just yesterday and thinking the same. Very nifty device.

The files between PC & MAC will work definately.

Although my gues is by the time they release this express cards will be very affordable.

Paul
Paul Dhadialla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2008, 08:08 PM   #5
Major Player

I saw another rumor today saying this would be ~$630 when it shipped, which definitely isn't too bad. I can't find any info on the hard drive size, 2.5" vs. 1.8", which would affect how much additional space you could fit in in.
Old February 20th, 2008, 08:53 PM   #6
Major Player

Dell Vostro

I recently went the Dell Vostro route...dual layer DVD, dual core intel processor, 2 GB ram 180 GB 7200 hard drive, 15.5 display, express card slot, universal memory card slot, windows XP home, extra long life battery, $750.
I installed MACDRIVE 7 FOR WINDOWS - MEDIAFOUR CORP $39.95 so that I can write to a LaCie 7750GB extrenal drive via firewire or USB and import into mac.
So for under $800, it works, but it's an ugly but durable laptop.
BTW it plays back the HD EX1 clips full screen great.
Best, Craig
Craig Hollenback is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds